Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #31 
Aside

I'm not saying a .5 gallon is a suitable home. I know it's not. I just think that the bigger problem is educating people as opposed to tank size, though I'm not saying that is unimportant. I would love to get all prospective betta owners to buy five gallon tanks.
I just think the first step is to educate people and then I think the tank size will come naturally. If the workers know about betta care then they will be less likely to suggest the smaller tanks.

When I got my betta I was looking at a two and a half gallon with a filter (I had no idea about needing a heater because no one at the store did) I was told not to buy that tank because it would be bad for it and that bettas shouldn't be kept in anything larger than a gallon.

I think that the first step is to educate people so they at least know what to do. People that care about their fishes lives will do right by them. The others, well there isn't a ton we can do about it. Even if pet stores stop selling smaller tanks if their customers don't know they can just stick them in little storage containers or bowls.

I think that the first step in any change is just knowledge. More than that it's up to the people that buy them. Any place you get a dog will tell you the proper care for it, yet animal shelters int his country are still overflowing. A horse is too big an investment for most people to take on without knowing better. Some people just don't care which is why thousands of horses get slaughtered every year.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #32 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aside View Post
I'm not saying a .5 gallon is a suitable home. I know it's not. I just think that the bigger problem is educating people as opposed to tank size, though I'm not saying that is unimportant. I would love to get all prospective betta owners to buy five gallon tanks.
I just think the first step is to educate people and then I think the tank size will come naturally. If the workers know about betta care then they will be less likely to suggest the smaller tanks.

When I got my betta I was looking at a two and a half gallon with a filter (I had no idea about needing a heater because no one at the store did) I was told not to buy that tank because it would be bad for it and that bettas shouldn't be kept in anything larger than a gallon.

I think that the first step is to educate people so they at least know what to do. People that care about their fishes lives will do right by them. The others, well there isn't a ton we can do about it. Even if pet stores stop selling smaller tanks if their customers don't know they can just stick them in little storage containers or bowls.

I think that the first step in any change is just knowledge. More than that it's up to the people that buy them. Any place you get a dog will tell you the proper care for it, yet animal shelters int his country are still overflowing. A horse is too big an investment for most people to take on without knowing better. Some people just don't care which is why thousands of horses get slaughtered every year.
I see what you're saying, but I think that even for inexperienced people the fish would rather be in a bigger tank. Don't you think it would be better for a betta to be in at least a 2.5 gallon tank, even if the owner didn't take care of them well, rather than for a betta to be in a .5 gallon tank where the owner still didn't take care of them well? See the improvement? That's where I'm getting at. If we eliminate the small tanks, people will at least be forced to have bigger tanks anyway. Educating people (seeing as how many don't really care and only see bettas as decorations) seems like a harder thing to do all around, having a banning of the small tanks though, seems like something the stores could do.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #33 
LebronTheBetta

Okay... What about this, We petition about Betta Abuse and the size of their tank, right??? So, I think u should make it anything less than, ummm, let us say, a gallon? What about that? I've seen people put Bettas in 1 gallon tanks. But 4 bowls, that, my friend, is a NONO!!! It gets dirty easily and there is bad circulation b-cuz of the form of the surface area.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #34 
kfryman

They can stick bettas in those betta barracks in tank. It doesn't give them lots of space, but at least they are heated and filtered. If you don't know what I am talking about look it up. Bettas can be kept in various tanks. I went to a family petshop that had a betta with their neons and was fine. People believe bettas must be kept alone.

Anyways, if you see a fish in a cup, you are going to believe that they can live in small spaces like that. So just making a small space hard to get will only discourage some people.

Some bettas don't do well in larger tanks. If you have been on here for a while you would of heard some stories. It depends on the fish, not what you believe is the minimum. Also their are many experienced people on here that have thriving bettas in 1 gallons. Some don't have enough space or some just have so many bettas or financial problems. A 5 gallon will cost much more than just a bowl.

When in petstores some bettas get use to that small confined space, if you get a 55 gallon and out one betta in there, if it isn't decorated or planted heavily that betta will be scared. It is a huge amount of space change. Again it depends on the fish.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #35 
Aside

I agree that it is better to keep them in a bigger tank and that there will then be a bigger margin for error with inexperienced owners. However, I think that education still needs to come first, even something as simple as an accurate care sheet provided by the pet store.

If someone thinks that bettas can be kept is such small room not being able to buy a bowl that size isn't going to stop them. There will be nothing to stop them from putting them in a regular bowl or a vase and using them as a centerpiece.

I think that the big problem with betta care is that people don't know better because pet stores don't teach them any better. I bet that most people that buy betta fish and keep them in such conditions probably think they are generally doing right by their fish. Particularly all those parents buying them for their children. They want the fish to stay healthy so they don't have to deal with a heartbroken chile.

Another big thing is that people think a smaller tank is less work. The idea that a larger tank is easier to maintain is counter intuitive for people that know nothing about fish.

Many people want a pet and they hear bettas are easy to take care of. They want to limit maintenance so the get a little bowl and no filter because they think it will be less work.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #36 
Sivan

I made an awareness group on Facebook a while ago for betta fish. It focuses on the misconceptions and improper care of betta fish, with a goal to end to harm to bettas cause by products and pet store misinformation. While I have a scheduled awareness day set for June 21 that focuses on members coming together and sending companies letters/emails of complaints, providing posters of proper care to raise awareness, and contacting local stores about poor conditions of betta fish, I would like to do something more such as a petition.

I think education is the most important aspect of correcting a mistake. 1 gallon may be small but it is COMPLETELY possible to raise a betta properly in it as long as a strict maintenance schedule is followed and the owner has a proper amount of time and dedication to keep it up. Most people, once educating on such a rigorous demand, prefer to obtain larger tanks because of their ease.

In the UK, it is illegal to sell any fish tanks that is under 1 gallon because of strict animal abuse laws. I think it is critically important in getting similar laws in the United States to begin preventing betta abuse and neglect.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #37 
Ramble

What you might try if you work in a Pet store (like me ) is to set up a small tank that shows people how easy and inexpensive it is to make your betta a nice home. We've set up two different bettas in 'betta kits.' We have a 1.75 gallon kritter keeper set up nicely, and a one gallon set up the same. It allows us to explain the care and cleaning needs of each setup. Visuals are a good thing! Customers also get to see how lively and curious these little fish really are!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #38 
Sivan

Ramble: Petsmart has recently began doing something similar, only with negative impacts. My local PetSmart and others have begun using these betta kit displays that are those tiny 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon divided tanks in the betta section. In addition, they have those tanks and similar tanks of small size on sale. This is very harmful, in my opinion.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #39 
kfryman

Good to know the UK still cares America doesn't give a care. I still think the idea of betta center pieces in vases still endangers them greatly.

Education should come first, then change to products.

Good idea is to speak to the manager or email the actually HQ of Petco or Petsmart and ask why they support the small bowls.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #40 
4everaspirit

It seems like some people are telling me that I shouldn't make a petition then? Since it won't matter because people will just end up putting bettas in vases if they can't get small tanks. I think it DOES matter because at least the pet stores won't be advocating small tanks as permanent homes for bettas. And if a new law gets passed around, people will hear about it and realize that such small environments are not suitable.

You can't possibly make sure people are educated properly, but you can make sure that no store sells tanks under a gallon.

I don't know anymore...I'm getting so many confused signals and ideas with this idea of a petition.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote