Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #41 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Ramble: Petsmart has recently began doing something similar, only with negative impacts. My local PetSmart and others have begun using these betta kit displays that are those tiny 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon divided tanks in the betta section. In addition, they have those tanks and similar tanks of small size on sale. This is very harmful, in my opinion.
It isn't as harmful as keeping them in cups! The Petsmart near me only has one in the .5 kit, i got my HMPK from their and be was actually very lively. Almost none of the Vegas in cups were lively.

Visuals help a lot. If all bettas in stores were kept in 1 gallon tanks or bowls people may believe that is a better home.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #42 
Sivan

Agreed but people should not be led to believe that those divided tanks are suitable homes either because of the ammonia build up. If they keep bettas in betta barracks that would be best.

As for the petition, I am more than willing to help and am looking into the best way to create one.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #43 
Ramble

Quote:
Agreed but people should not be led to believe that those divided tanks are suitable homes either because of the ammonia build up.
I agree. I don't like those tiny divided tanks either. That's why we're showing the larger keepers...we can't control what other pet stores do, but we can try to set a better example.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #44 
kfryman

I agree with a petition since the petstores advocate them, buy selling them. Just remember that banning the sales of small tanks doesn't stop the mistreated of bettas.

Also you would have to look into and possibly contact the stores as just having people sign something doesn't mean they will stop selling them. I believe you need to have an agreement with them. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #45 
LaLaLeyla

Fish bowls aren't always used for fish though...
Maybe instead of petitioning you can educate people.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #46 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Agreed but people should not be led to believe that those divided tanks are suitable homes either because of the ammonia build up. If they keep bettas in betta barracks that would be best.

As for the petition, I am more than willing to help and am looking into the best way to create one.
Thanks Silvian. I was considering which site would be better, "care2" or "change.org". I think we can all at least agree that under 1 gallon tanks should be banned, right? We can work from there.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #47 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLeyla View Post
Fish bowls aren't always used for fish though...
Maybe instead of petitioning you can educate people.
I have been trying to, problem is many people don't listen to me. Many people who have the small bowls don't like it when they are told that they need bigger tanks for their fish to thrive. I have been getting negative responses from people that think I'm attacking them personally. Simply get rid of the small bowls in the first place, and we wouldn't have as much of this problem.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #48 
Aside

I think a good step would be to educate people at the stores. Maybe make a care sheet and ask if you can leave them at the petstore near the bettas and talk to the resident 'fish expert'.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #49 
kfryman

Have you looked into how a petition works? I don't know how they do work, but I believe the company would have to agree, as it is not a law, so technically the can do what ever.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #50 
4everaspirit

Okay, I'm starting the petition, just to see how it goes....I don't want to hit the start button yet though because I need a little help with the description

This is what I have so far. This will be on Change.org.

"Many pet stores sell people tanks and bowls that are under 1 gallon. This is barely enough room for a fish to move around or to have some plants or a cave.

When people see fish, especially bettas being sold in small cups, many think that a small enclosure would then be suitable as a "permanent" home. They are not. Nearly all experienced fish experts can agree that keeping fish in a tank or bowl under 1 gallon is inhumane.

Places in Italy have already made progress by banning fish bowls. It's time to build another stepping stone for animal welfare here in America."

Needs more details, I know... V__V I think I may just give up, I have no idea what I'm doing here lol

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 04-29-2012 at 01:22 PM.