Housing
What size is your tank? 1-1.5 gal kritter keeper
What temperature is your tank? 78-79*F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum pellets and freeze-dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, morning and night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80% or so.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Nothing noticeable.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's become lethargic, sitting in the bottom of the tank. This morning I thought he was dead. I had to reach in the tank to get him to move. He's also been darting. Almost like he has a twitch. He'll swim around a little and then he'll clamp his fins and sink
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Upon noticing him at the bottom, I did a 100% WC and ran everything under hot water. Tank is bare bottom with two fake plants and mossball.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None. He had a brush with death when our power went out this winter but we took him to my aunt's who had power and he bounced back.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Almost a year. I bought him off AB about 7 month ago or so.

Thanks for reading this. Any help will be appreciated. I'm not sure what to do for him. Reading the list of diseases, it could be one of many things. Please help me narrow it down. Thanks again.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #2 
Foisair

Update: I haven't done anything but the first water change. He still just sits at the bottom with his fins clamped. We startled home when we came out to the kitchen to make breakfast and he swam around for a little before settling back down at the bottom. Even his swimming seemed off though. Like he was dazed almost. I'm going to do another 100% water change before going to work today. I still haven't gotten him to eat anything. I have both aquarium salt an Epsom salt and am prepared to do a salt treatment I just need help know which salt to use. Since I don't see anything obvious externally wrong, I'm thinking I should use Epsom. I would like confirmation though before I start.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 
BeckyFish97

Does he start to float after swimming?It could be bloating, I believe the formula is 1tsp epsom per gal, waterchanges daily, to keep his tank as healthy as possible while he recovers, you can put him into the salt bath for up to 30mins (I think!) but if he shows signs of stress then take him out and put him back in his normal tank, only do them for 14 days, no more than that
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 
Foisair

He's not bloated at all. And when he stops swimming, he clamps up and sinks to the bottom.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 
Foisair

UPDATE: After posting yesterday, I reread the stickies and based on what I read, I think Merlin might have a parasite of some sort even though I can't see anything. Since he's been sick, I've been doing 100% water changes every other day. (Friday when I noticed him ill, Sunday and I will do another tonight when I get home from work.) Each time I've noticed little white specks on the bottom of the tank. Could those be parasites or eggs falling off? But I can't see anything on Merlin. Thinking that it might be a parasitic issue, I went to my local Petco with a list of possible meds to get. The only thing they had besides the bad for bettas -fix meds was Coppersafe. So I got some and added a little to Merlin's water last night. I also bought some frozed blood worms and got him to eat two last night.

As of this morning when I left for work, Merlin was still resting on the bottom of his tank. He had eaten one more blood worm and seemed to notice me. He still seemed a little out of it when he swam around though.

Someone yell at me quickly if Coppersafe is not the way to go with this. Otherwise, I will continue with 100% water changes and Coppersafe. I'll also try to up the water changes to every night rather than every other day.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

if he is darting, parasites is a good guess and coppersafe is supposed to be effective against external parasites but I'm not sure I would feel safe using it even if the copper is non toxic to fish.

Quote:
CopperSafe, when used as directed, maintains a total copper level of 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm in the water. CopperSafe remains active for over one month in the aquarium. Levels of 0.3 ppm free copper are recommended in the literature for therapeutic use, but with Coppersafe, the levels of free copper will be measured at 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm. This level of copper can be used in the treatment of fish due to Coppersafe's unique chelating agent. The chelating agent binds with the copper making it nontoxic to fish but effective against parasites. CopperSafe does not discolor the water and will not interfere with the biological filter
are the poops white and stringy? if so, you may be dealing with internal parasites.

Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining Epsom Salt with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-02-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 
Foisair

Thanks for the info on the Coppersafe Tikibirds. When I got home last night his water was cloudy and there was a layer of scum on top that made the cup I used to catch him with slimy. That in itself made me reconsider using the Coppersafe. I did a 100% water change and switched him to the same AQ salt treatment that Beast is in right now (fin rot). This morning, he seemed almost back to being 100% himself again. He's swimming around normally, begged for food, ate two pellets, and even flared at Beast. Tikibirds, I haven't noticed white stringy poo but he hasn't been eating so he hasn't been pooing. Since he ate this morning, I'll watch for it and let you know.

I realize that if the parasites are internal, I should have him on ES not AQ. Since he's made such an improvement on the AQ, I'm going to keep him on that unless there is stronger evidence of the parasites being internal (ie: stringy poo).

Thank you all for you help and concern. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Last edited by Foisair; 05-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

I'm glad he is feeling better :)
If the AQ salt is working, I would stick with that instead of coppersafe. If he had external parasites, I think AQ salt somehow aggrivates either the scales or the slime coat and causes the parasites to fall off...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote