Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #21 
NoahG

Cattitude, I just want to say: you have very nice Bettas (though I'd like to see Jean-Luc, I'm curious what a wild-type CT looks like). I love the names as well, and Voltaire somehow really suits his name.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #22 
Cattitude

Thanks! I'm glad you like my bettas!

I saw a thread here about colours and they showed a betta that was the same colour as Jean-Luc. This one was listed as "wild type".

Here is Jean-Luc. He is darker (and looks dark in this pic) but the same basic colour:

Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #23 
NoahG

It's a little tough to tell, but he kind of looks a lot like my Kostya. Here's a pic of him (at work there's a Betta that looks as though he could be his brother, it's crazy):

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #24 
Cattitude

This blue colour scheme seems to be a natural betta colour, as it's so common. Jean-Luc does look like your Kostya in natural light, and I saw several like Jean-Luc when I was choosing him at the pet store. I guess "wild type" could be an accurate description of the colour.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #25 
NoahG

Would you mind if I ask where you got him from? I'm kind of curious if the store you got him from and where I work (where I got Kostya from) might have the same supplier.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #26 
Cattitude

Sure! I got him from a Petsmart in Toronto, Canada.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #27 
NoahG

Ah, I work at, and Kostya was bought at, a PetSmart down near the Pennsylvania border, so...really not that far from Toronto.

Now I wonder whether Canadian PetSmarts only use Canadian suppliers for their live animals...I may just have to check into that. (Admittedly I know nothing about transporting live animals over the border.)
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #28 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Ok the dragon coloring is often confused on here with any iridescent that has a mask.

Dragons have thick, white, metallic, coloring. Anything other than that is not a dragon. Blue scaled "dragons" are not dragons either. They are of a similar development but they're not dragons.

Regardless there is no IBC sanction for "dragons". It's simply called metallic.

This article should clear things up.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=3433
^ ^ ^
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #29 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
Ah, I work at, and Kostya was bought at, a PetSmart down near the Pennsylvania border, so...really not that far from Toronto.

Now I wonder whether Canadian PetSmarts only use Canadian suppliers for their live animals...I may just have to check into that. (Admittedly I know nothing about transporting live animals over the border.)
A lot of our pet shops get their tropical fish from farms in the southern US, Florida for example. Since Petsmart is an American-owned chain, it wouldn't surprise me if our fish are shipped across the border as well. They just need the right permits to do it. I am not aware of any large-scale pet fish farming operations up here.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #30 
NoahG

If that's the case...then I wonder if the Toronto store and my store have the same supplier. It just seems too coincidental that they would look so similarly -- and it looks as though Jean-Luc also has a thicker look on his fins, am I right?

I guess I'd be surprised if they came from completely different places. I mean, I know the royal blues with red wash are common, so perhaps I'm wrong here and the dark, metallic blues with dark red wash are just as common. Though...according to my pet care manager there's only a few suppliers/distributors that PetSmart uses.