Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #1 
carzz

Exclamation Help baby Pikachu!

This morning when I was checking on pika, he was laying on his side. He is 4-5 months old. I bought him as a baby berta from petco a little over 4 months ago. And when I got him, he couldn't have been more then 3 weeks. Anyway.... I just put him in a new 3 gal. Tank. It's a betts keeper, with some glass marbles, a plant, Lilly pad, and cabin decoration. He has been in there since Friday. Now he is just laying on his side, and clamped fins and can hardly swim. His normal self is very hyper and active and happy. He is so sad and it is breaking my heart:( please help!!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gals
What temperature is your tank? 72-ish
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hiarki (spelling?) betts pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every night 3 pellets unless super hungry.
G
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betts safe. Aquarisal.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins. Sad.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Clamped fins. Sad. Laying on side. Not active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night, clamped fins only.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? In small container. New water. A very small amount of aq salt. Like, 2 grains of salt. I didn't know what else to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4-5 months old. Like I said, his is a petco baby betta.

Please help poor Pikachu.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It may be the water temp...can you get the temp up some to at least 76F over half hour or so.....and make a couple of back to back 25% water changes and see if this perks him up....if not, I would QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp at 76-78F and cover it with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-turn off the light and hold food for 24h.

Be sure and premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and tannin source and use that water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour the first day to get him acclimated to the new chemistry....Then 50% daily for 14 days.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 
carzz

Do you think its sbd? It kinda sounds like it to me.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It could be swim bladder related or labyrinth organ related- since it was sudden-his duct may be inflamed or blocked too......I would try increase in water temp, a couple of small water changes and hold food first....Then if no improvement start treatment-best to treat in a small container and premix the treatment water-also cover the top of the QT and get the air above the water warm and humid
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #5 
carzz

Thanx SOOO much :)