Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #11 
JKfish

Where so all of you get your assassin snails? I have an explosion of mts and pond snails that are wreaking havoc upon my plants now that there isn't algae.... I started off with one a few months ago, and now I can't keep up with them D:
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #12 
Laki

They're hard to find in stores here but one LFS gets them every now and then. I guess someone bought them up and they bred! My sister told me about the ad, it's on kijiji.

Don't where everybody else gets theirs. And I don't know how hard it is for regular stores to sell them seeing that every plant I ever saw in the stores around here is infested with snails.
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #13 
Laki

I wonder if I may hijack this thread for a second-
I currently have black gravel (decided to go hunting for black sand though) and so far, Ludendorff has his 4 snails. I went to scoop Lude out today and cup him for feeding bloodworms (I don't usually do this but I wanted to feed the snails too and I knew Lude would hog all the worms) and I couldn't find them!
I took everything out and sifted through the gravel gently but I couldn't see them. I found one, it fell off one of the ornaments. But I checked everything else. Do these things have a habit of completely burying down into the gravel?? I don't know where they are!! o.O
But, the 4 in the bowl of sand I put them all in when I got them (and there's 4 still there, doing Bowser's tank today) LOVE bloodworms!! lol so, if anybody is wondering what to feed their assassins, frozen bloodworms.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #14 
Sheldon31

Mine you rarely see. He's quite a quiet little soul. Very quiet and secretive. (maybe another reason for the name). He spends a lot of time buried in the sand and underneath my stones so your assassins are probably burying themselves.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #15 
Laki

So they'll bury themselves in deep even in gravel?? I;ll take your word bc there isn't a speck of evidence to suggest otherwise!! I sunk some food so hopefully they'll eat. And I'll keep my eye out and try to get black sand asap. I have light sand but I don't like it in my tanks, I like bettas on black (personal preference)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #16 
Sheldon31

When I had gravel he did this too. When I first baught him I put him somewhere I could see him (so I could tell he wasn't DOA) and then I didn't see him again! Found him 2 weeks later buried in the gravel when I was switching from gravel to sand. Assassins are very small too which makes it harder!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #17 
Laki

Ha they are very small! I did read before I got them that they prefer sand to gravel but will do fine in gravel... Then I lost them!! lol I know they're there. I just hope they don't starve.
I put the rest of the snails in with Bowser last night and he barely noticed them. I know they'll be safe. Actually one is on the driftwood (waiting for pond snails? bc it's coated in algae now) and another is up high on some IAL. One I might never see again bc it's literally the size of a size 12 Times New Roman "0".
Anyway, how do you like your snail? Is he doing his job? I find they don't eat much, which is good because I hopped into 8 snails (paid for 6, got 2 free). The owner selling them told me I would be fine with that many.
Apparantly there's a lps here who sells assassins for 9.99 each. @-@ He bought his for 4.99 each. I cannot believe how expensive they are!!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #18 
Sheldon31

He doesn't move much. I assume he finds Snails in the gravel because I keep thinking he's dead but he's fine. I payed 3.49 for mine. My pets at home sells them for 2for 9! Kyon doesn't bother him either, barely notices him.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #19 
Laki

That's good! I think my fish are bored of them and especially Bowser, sniffed it but didn't attack it like Lude did!!
I actually saw the tiniest one last night!! I thought I'd never see it again it's sooo small! lol It managed to come out front to snack on buried food- it was dark and I saw another in the back. They're nocturnal then I guess?