Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #1 
arix

Exclamation Strange Blue-ish Gunk on Betta's fin

So, basically one of my bettas (Who I only really own because the prior owner didn't want him anymore and was planning to starve him to death. Wow.. I know.) has developed this blueish gunk on his upper fin, and it seems to be spreading lately. I'm not sure if it's ick, or what. Whatever I read says ick and most parasites appear as white dots.. This is more of a big.. blueish whitish blob. He isn't really acting sick or anything, he still eats, swims around normally, etc. I'm just worried for his health, so any input is appreciated. I took some pictures:

Sorry couldn't figure out how to make the pictures smaller...

Housing

What size is your tank? 1.5 Gallon (I know, it's kinda small ): )
What temperature is your tank? 76-80 degrees Usually. Sometimes drops to 74.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes.
Is your tank heated? No. (But I try to keep the room at a constant temperature.)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No tankmates.

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 2 pellets in the morning, one before bed.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 3-5 days, but more often recently. (Every 2 or 3)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Full water change due to no filtration.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and Aquarium salt

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No.

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's developed a blueish gunk on his top fin, which has spread recently.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Darts around a lot more than he used to. (Especially when I was trying to take pictures ...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Several weeks ago. (Not sure exactly)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Changing the water more often.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for probably 6-9 months?
arix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 
arix

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 
Tamyu

I am nowhere near an expert, but just looking at the picture it looks like his coloration is changing naturally. Is it actually *gunk*, or is it like a spreading splotch? Some bettas change color pretty drastically, and it often seems to start like that.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 
arix

Honestly, it does seem like a spreading splotch. However, it seems like my other betta has a small area of the same exact color on his top fin which is why I was wondering if it were some sort of parasite or what have you. I guess I can just keep an eye on them for now.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 
Tamyu

Again, I am not an expert, but offhand I can't think of any illness that would cause it. If he were irritated at all, he would be closing his fins tightly against his body.

My personal guess is that now you are taking care of him, he is healthy and changing colors. There was an example of someone's betta completely changing to another color on here. The type of blue is a color commonly seen (and which I think is beautiful) on bettas - so it isn't a surprise that your other betta has some of the same color. I would watch and see what he turns out like.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #6 
BeckyFish97

I found with one of my previous males (r.i.p) that he had fin melt and this caused a wierd blob like shape on his anal fin, not sure about treatment for fin melt though (also he didn't die from this, it happened when he was very young and he made a full recovery-can't remember how I treated it because it was about 2years ago :/ )
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #7 
arix

Well I appreciate the replies. It doesn't seem like fin melt in any other way, but just in case I'll be changing the water more frequently. I actually have to take my poor fish home on a 1200-ish mile road trip, soooo I hope they do well with that. I'll post updates on Trotsky's (that's the crowntail in question) condition if it worsens or if he just.. ends up changing to blue. Haha.

Tags
betta, fin gunk, sick