Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
SarahandOscar

Newbie that's fallen head over heels for her boys.

I'm Sarah, 26 and from Sydney Australia.

I live with my Boyfriend Nathan and our 2 boys, his 7 yr old Bull Mastiff x German Shepherd named Gucci and our nearly 2 year old Siberian Husky x Golden Retriever named Oscar.

2 weeks ago i was at the pet store with Nathans sister who's been interested in getting a tropical tank when she asked what the easiest fish to care for was. I assumed Goldfish before the assistant said Siamese Fighting Fish which perked my interest. Being the rather impulsive girl i am i decided to buy one and much to Nathan's delight we added another little boy to our tiny granny flat.

I fell in LOVE with my quirky little guy and decided to buy him some friends (entirely separate - i cannot see you type friends) so now 2 weeks later i have 5 tanks and 4 boys. Yet to be named as i want to get to know them first.

I assumed what i was told about Betta care at the pet store was all i needed to know. BOY WAS I WRONG! I've been visiting this site on and off for the first week, learning a few bits, trying not to get overwhelmed with how much i didn't know and am now on it every spare moment i get trying to learn all i can.

They are all in their own 1gallon (4liter) tanks, have their water changed twice a week (1 x 50% and 1 x 100%) are fed 3 pellets twice daily with the occasional dried worm (i don't know the brand it was suggested to me with my 1st little guy) and have recently bought frozen blood worm to test out as a treat. They all have a silk plant, gravel, hammock and decoration which they all love and parade around for me constantly and always come to the front of the tank to say hi when i sit to gaze at them in amazement. I have some beautiful photo's.

As a novice i know i have a lot more to learn and will forever strive to improve my boys lives. As it's coming into winter over here in Aus, heating will be the next chunk out of my bank account - As i was originally advised it wasn't necessary and then got the shock of my life when after spending 4 solid hours on this site it was incredibly important. As soon as we move out of the granny flat my boys will get their own 2.5 - 5 gallon tanks and although i wish i'd done more independent research than asking a pet store assistant, i'm confident after reading this site my 4 boys will be happy, healthy and spoiled rotten for life.

Oh i wish i wish i could hug my fish.
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Suggestion to consider, instead of getting them each a 5 g tank, why not get a 20g tank and add 4 dividers in it, that way they can each have 5 gallons and you would only need one heater for the whole tank as well as a filter.

Something to consider...
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #3 
SarahandOscar

Thanks Tazman,
I'm sure that would be a more space/cost effective idea than what i had in mind haha. I'll definitely look into that seeing as lack of room was what was holing me back in the first place! Thanks so much!!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Welcome.
The dividers do not have to be store bought either, you can make your own using plexiglass (acrylic) and hold them in place with silicone.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum

I see you got bitten by the betta bug early on. It happens to the best of us :) Tazman has a great suggestion on the divided tank. There are lots of people here who do the same.

Good luck and don't hug those fish LOL.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #6 
YoshesMom

Its so good to see a new Betta mom doing research that in itself means you are willing to try and give your little guys the best life you can provide ...good job! Just wait until you learn more and you go into your local fish store ( who know you as the Betta lady by now) and you see someone purchasing a Betta and a tiny bowl and its all you can do not to scold/lecture them! But anyway I just wanted to encourage you and tell you that your doing a great job and to let you know we demand pictures around here ...we like to love your babies too!!
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #7 
SarahandOscar

Thanks Romad, I'm definately going to look into that!

Hi Rachael, There are currently 6 pet stores i've been to on a weekly basis that are starting to recognise me haha. I can't blame new Betta owners for not knowing better regarding tank size, i got the largest Betta "bowl" i knew was available and wasn't even shown the larger "tanks" ah the power of hindsight. At least every choice from now on will be thoroughly researched. I'll post some pics asap. Should i post them in this conversation or in the Betta Pictures section? (never been on a forum before and not sure of the terms used or general rules apart from the obvious) Thanks :)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures and seeing pics.....

Enjoy your stay....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote