Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 
Bethydan

Is a tank divider/setup available that makes it hard for males to spy each other? :/

So I work at Walmart, and at the end of my shift I sometimes wander over to the fish and look at the bettas. Yes, they're barely cared for and doomed to waste away. If there was a permanent position in the pet department, I'd jump on it. But I digress...

Tonight I spied a pretty little marble CT and he was actually perking up at the sight of me and begging for attention. Whereas the others were just hovering (or floating) depressingly. No obvious signs of disease, but it's just a matter of time. The water was dirty with poop and uneaten food. I even heard a manager say, "They're supposed to be feeding them everyday."

I wouldn't mind bringing home the little dude if I knew I could reliably divide up the Magster's 20-gallon tank. I'm worried that with all the dividers I've seen being clear, the stress of seeing each other will eventually kill them. Which I KNOW it will. Is it possible to arrange decor so that they aren't aware of each other's presence? Abel doesn't try to squeeze into odd areas or investigate every nook and cranny, so I don't think he'd be an issue. It's the marble that I'm not sure about. I need some creative ideas. I have a feeling that the little guy is doomed if I don't take him in.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 
Bethydan

So I MacGyvered my tank with some craft/office supplies lying around my bedroom. I double and triple-layered some plastic mesh and secured them with plastic report binders. Yes, I'm just that good at problem-solving. So this is what it looks like thus far:

I'm thinking that I might want to add an extra layer of black mesh to the top third of the divider just to make sure that they can't peep into each other's sections. Regardless, the filter is baffled so that there are two currents. One into each half of the tank. Both sides are heated with one good reliable heater. I might add another thermometer to the other half. Is that over-thinking it? My room does tend to heat the water to a degree higher than the heater is set to. Especially since our air conditioning is on the fritz. I'll add some more decor and move some around so that the divider is made extra stable. And if all else fails, I have the quarantine tank that I can keep the new guy in until I problem-solve the heck out of the 20-gallon.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 
djembekah

that sounds like a great plan!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 
Silverfang

I saw someone do a three way dividing, where the middle compartment was just the filter and heater. And either side had a boy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 
Hopeseeker

I just recently divided a 10 gallon. Here's the thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98702

P.S.
I also work at Walmart and used to work at a store that sold fish.....that is how I got Jericho(RIP) and he re-started my love/obsession of bettas....lol!

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 04-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Hopeseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 
shadowpony

Oh thats a great idea! I love it. Do you have the little guy yet?
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 
Bethydan

So I ran by the pet section after my shift ended, and he looked a bit worse. :( Clamped fins. No obvious physical injuries or bacterial/fungal infections. Looks a bit thin, but otherwise okay. Just depressed. So I immediately picked him up. I have him in the quarantine tank as we speak so I can slowly adjust him to the warmer temperature and bit of salt that I added. Actually having clean water might come as a shock!

Thus far, he's perked up. He's interested in food, but spits the pellets out. Might try bloodworms later. Even my healthy new bettas never accept the first few pellets. So I can't count that against him. His fins are flowing and flapping now, which I'm very happy about. I'm watching him very closely for the next few days. I'm really hoping he can do me proud and become as active and funny as my other two guys. I'm thinking if he will attack food so vigorously, he stand a good chance.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #8 
Bethydan

Update:

Nevermind. The little goober just scarfed the pellet down when I wasn't looking. I see he's going to be trouble already.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 
Bethydan

It's ich. At the least. Who knows what infections he was exposed to. When he started flashing, I suspected, and a really close inspection uncovered it. Under the lighting in the QT (and now that he's fully extending his fins) I can see the spots. Nothing I can't handle. Just hoping he's strong enough to hold on. He's still interested in food and is swimming around and wiggling for attention.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

I divide my tanks with a 3rd middle section for just the heater and filter (you can see pictures of it under "My Aquariums"), and the boys can't see each other at all. Whatever you put in the middle just make sure there is enough water flow to keep the temp constant. When I was using a Top Fin divider, the holes weren't large enough to faciliate enough water flow and one side was about 4 degrees warmer than the other.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote