Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 
HelloThere123Betta

Help Me Convince My Parents To Let Me Get A Rabbit?

Hey guys! Soo... I really really want a bunny! Specifically a lop eared one! I think they are the cutest thing ever! But my parents aren't that easy to win over. I've done some research about them and I even made a Prezi. I'm waiting until I make a little bit more money so I can pay for some of the costs also. I'll link my Prezi on here so you can see it, would everyone please leave some comments, advice, anything I should add(?) I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
http://prezi.com/lfps6gpkyxfa/copy-of-bunny-rabbit/
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

Prove your responsibility, promise to do everything for the bunny, and keep your promise thats all I can say, the prezi is good, but I wouldn't buy the hay holder, my bunny cut himself on one
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 
HelloThere123Betta

Oh no! Really? Would a wood one work better?
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #4 
Crowntailed

Rabbits require a very big a cage and those things can get exspenisve. They cost a lot of cash and time, make sure you have time everyday to feed, care, clean, and play with the bunny. And always make sure you have a couple of hundred dollors on hand to pay for vet bills. If you get a female rabbit you should get her spayed because 80% of nonspayed female rabbits will get canser by the age of 4-5. And remember do a LOT of research before getting one.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For a cage, I think a better option would be something like this:
Top Paw™ Exercise Pen with Door - 36" - Gates & Exercise Pens - Dog - PetSmart
The ones made for dogs are a good size. The ones made for small pets are usually too small. Putting a blue tarp under it would make easy cleaning that won't damage flooring, with some towels and such over top for comfort.
A lot of those 2 story cages have wire floors that can hurt bunny feet.

I'd look into a breed like a dwarf or lionhead... They are more expensive initially, but you can get away with a tinier cage than for a larger breed. Alternatively, I'd look for a rabbit rescue, or even the local humane society. You can usually find already fixed bunnies there, just need to find a small breed. Small bunnies also eat less, and that adds up over a while.

Also, I'd grab a phone book, call all the vet offices in town, ask if they do bunnies, how much for spaying... If you live in/near a large city, you may find some info on which vets are the best for your town.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #6 
Laki

What I tell people pretty regularly is to think about a bunny, long and hard.
I'm allergic to my bunny's hay and fur when she molts (sheds her whole coat twice a year) so think about that.
The cage in the pic you had is the size of my bunny's condo, anything smaller is not suitable. The pieces for the cage can be found at WalMart for 15$ per pack, a cage that size used about 4-5 packs (I think)
Don't buy store bought treats!!! They're full of sugar and seeds and things bunny shouldn't eat. www.rabbit.org = Bunny owner's bible. Go there for healthy treat recipes!! I bake bunny treats for myself and 2 girls at my workplace :) They are healthy and you know what's gone into them.
Toys can be found in the baby and cat toy section of dollar stores. Cardboard, have lots of it on hand because bunny will chew!
Thrift stores have cheap fleece blankets and sheets for lining cages with.
You'll NEED to have a female spayed. Neutering is reccommended for males to control pee spraying. And in both sexes, fixing will eliminate BAD behaviors from hormones.

Please please please look into rescuing one. Stores buy their bunnies from mills where they are given inadequate care. Do not support that, especially since you'll receive terrible info on proper care and they'll likely give you a sick rabbit (or one with a compromised immune system). Plus, rescues will give you the option of fostering the rabbit first to see if it fits in with your family and lifestyle. AND most rescues spay/neuter ALL rabbits in their care.

Anything else, just ask me. I've only been studying and researching rabbits for the 5 and a half years of having them but I feel I have some knowledge I can share. A rabbit is no cute commitment either, most HATE to be handled and carried around (being prey animals) and they can live to be 10-12 years old.

edit- I just seen Olympia's post and actually the smaller the rabbit the higher energy it has!! SO a larger cage would be essential and more out of cage time!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere123Betta View Post
Hey guys! Soo... I really really want a bunny! Specifically a lop eared one! I think they are the cutest thing ever! But my parents aren't that easy to win over. I've done some research about them and I even made a Prezi. I'm waiting until I make a little bit more money so I can pay for some of the costs also. I'll link my Prezi on here so you can see it, would everyone please leave some comments, advice, anything I should add(?) I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
http://prezi.com/lfps6gpkyxfa/copy-of-bunny-rabbit/
How old are you? I am really impressed by that Prezi! Good job! That will help win them over! Also tell them rabbits are quieter than most pets, and that you need a companion.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wops. Never thought of that. :D
Also, be totally sure you're ready- I went through so many "I promise I'll take care of him"'s when I was little that now my parents don't trust me with animals, even though I'm much more responsible and logical over what I can handle. >_>
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Wops. Never thought of that. :D
Also, be totally sure you're ready- I went through so many "I promise I'll take care of him"'s when I was little that now my parents don't trust me with animals, even though I'm much more responsible and logical over what I can handle. >_>
+1

Also think about why you really want a bunny. If it's just because they are cute then it might not be a good idea to get one. Also, you're gonna hate hearing this, but you might want to wait a couple months and see if you still want one by then. If you still do, then you are less likely to lose interest.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #10 
Laki

Bunnies are extremely cute. Those pics in your prezi are adorable. However, and I cannot express this enough, bunnies are not your typical cuddly pet. Allergies are a big concern, and I only want to say this again because yesterday my rescue took in 2 male rabbits. Neither was neutered and they had been living together in a hutch outside because the owner developed allergies. They had torn ears from fighting, infected male-parts and they were both stained so bad from peeing on each other that the white ones fur is going to be yellow for months.

I'm not saying this to offend you or tell you not to get a rabbit but really think long and hard about them. Bunnies are complex animals, they shouldn't be kept in a cage and they shouldn't be bought because they're cute.

If I had my time back I would have gotten 2 to bond. They're easier to bond when they're young and they make each other happier.

Oh, also- with lops you have to make sure their ears stay dry and clean.

And as much as you'll hate to hear this again- I agree with waiting for a few months to really research all the pro's and cons. You could also get involved with a rescue and see how some bunnies behave and give yourself a feel for the types of things you'll be dealing with :) Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote