Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

I feed my rats hamster food (Living World Hamster Excursion, some of the best store brand blocks for rats) lol We only feed blocks, and fresh veggies daily. Fruits as a treat weekly. But looking at the ingredients, these are so far off I really don't know if I would feed this rat food to a hamster. Have you looked into Harlan Teklad 2018/2016/2014? I feed that to my rats as well, and I see a lot of people are feeding the higher (2018) to their hamsters. Myself, I would personally go with a lesser fat like the 2014 but I am unsure of the protein hamsters need. Us rat owners usually use the 2018 for babies and nursing mothers.

Quote:
Oxbow Regal Rat:

Premium Ingredients
Brown Rice = Low-Calorie Energy Source
Oats and Wheat = Fiber and Energy Source
Soy and Fish Meal = Balanced Protein with Healthy Fats
Ingredients
Whole Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Wheat Bran, Wheat, Soybean Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Soybean Hulls, Calcium Carbonate, Yeast Culture Dehydrated, Flax Seed Meal (Linseed), Inulin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Soy Oil, Methionine DL, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Wheat Germ Meal, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Natural Flavor, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Cobalt Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 15.00%
Crude Fat (min) 4.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 7.00%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Calcium (min) 0.80%
Calcium (max) 1.20%
Phosphorous (min) 0.80%

Oxbow Hamster and Gerbil:

Premium Ingredients
Timothy Hay = Beneficial Fiber
Oat and Barley = Superior Energy Source
Canola Products = Complete Protein and Healthy Fat

Ingredients
Timothy Meal, Pearled Barley (Rolled), Oat Groats, Linseed (Flax) Meal, Canola Meal, Wheat Gluten, Millet, Ground Flax Seed, Canola Oil, Limestone, Salt, Dried Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 17.00%
Crude Fat (min) 4.50%
Crude Fiber (min) 11.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 15.00%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Calcium (min) 0.60%
Calcium (max) 1.00%
Phosphorus (min) 0.40%
Salt (min) 0.50%
Salt (max) 1.00%
Copper (min) 25 ppm
Vitamin A (min) 19,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D (min) 900 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 190 IU/kg
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Oh don't worry, Im not going to feed him the rat food any more. I can get the hamster oxbow food :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

I gotta let you know, you just jynxed me. I just received a call about a half blind hamster needing a home ASAP, or she will be given for snake food. I'm out the door to pick her up lol Here, I know nothing about them and was just looking through hamster stuff while I researched the food. Wish me luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I gotta let you know, you just jynxed me. I just received a call about a half blind hamster needing a home ASAP, or she will be given for snake food. I'm out the door to pick her up lol Here, I know nothing about them and was just looking through hamster stuff while I researched the food. Wish me luck!
haha! well i do suspect to have a touch of esp....anyway good luck!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #15 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
If you need any help, VM me. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
I feed my rats hamster food (Living World Hamster Excursion, some of the best store brand blocks for rats) lol We only feed blocks, and fresh veggies daily. Fruits as a treat weekly. But looking at the ingredients, these are so far off I really don't know if I would feed this rat food to a hamster. Have you looked into Harlan Teklad 2018/2016/2014? I feed that to my rats as well, and I see a lot of people are feeding the higher (2018) to their hamsters. Myself, I would personally go with a lesser fat like the 2014 but I am unsure of the protein hamsters need. Us rat owners usually use the 2018 for babies and nursing mothers.
My hamster's main diet is:
-Living World Extrusion Pellets
-Cheap Brand of Seed Mix from LPS
-Oats
Oats are great food for hamsters. My hamster fell and his two front teeth came out, so he needed food that was easy to eat. The vet reccomended feeding him oats until he can get back on seed mix. He loves them so much I still feed them! lol

I give him veggies/fruits every few days. Sometimes he has a treat stick in his cage. And he gets the occasional store bought treat.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #17 
Pitluvs

We did end up picking her up :) She's a cream Syrian Teddy Bear :) Sweetest thing, she's very friendly and loves to be in your arms. She is blind in one eye, has a lump on her back and a little underweight. But the worst was the cage she came in, nothing but a cage the size of a book and a dangerous plastic wheel. Nothing else. She now has a box and some toilet paper until I can get my big big rat cage set up for her :) Meet Jazzy! Oh and she'll be eating Living World and Harlan Teklad... and some seed mix for a treat.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #18 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Make sure to feed veggies 3 times a week. ;) Mine's favourites are carrots and apple.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #19 
Pitluvs

She'll be in the same rotation as the rats and the dragon :) Having pet rats really helps with hammy care, not to much different lol