Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 
GraceStromer

New Betta owner questions!!

Hey everyone! I'm totally new here and have a lot of questions. You guys seem like the online authority on Bettas so I thought I'd ask here. :)

I got a male adult Betta on Thursday (4 days ago). Originally I bought a 1 gallon fish bowl for him, but I didn't have a heater, and the water was about 68 degrees and he was super lethargic. He also started spitting out his food (pellets AND flakes) and then, yesterday, he started just glancing at the food and not eating it.
We were worried about the water being too cold for him, so we bought a 3 gallon tank with a filter, heater, and light. This was yesterday. Now the water is about 76-78 degrees and he is MUCH more active but also seems like he's freaking out because of the filter and everything. So, questions.
  • I've heard that I should have the filter on the lowest setting possible, but the water is super cloudy and looks like it's dirty. Also, is moving water going to freak him out?
  • Is he not eating just because he's been transferred so much in the past week? Should I just leave him alone?
  • Before he was eating food, then spitting it out, now he's just eating a VERY small amount. Like 1 flake. Is that normal?
  • I have a little bubble blower thing, but it seems like that's really scaring him. He's just swimming around in circles strangely. Is this ok? Should I just leave the bubbles off?

Thank you all SO much. If you have any questions, I'll answer!!!

-Grace Elizabeth
GraceStromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well....

Since he is new-how did you acclimate him to the new water when you first added him to the 1gal tank.

Its not uncommon for a new Betta to not eat for the first few days to week-usually once he settles in-he will start to eat.

IMO/E filter and water movement is optional for this species and sometimes the water movement can be stressful and be the cause of fin damage on the long fin males.

IMO/E 1gal tanks are fine for long term keeping the long fin males and they can be safely heated-provided the proper water changes are made.

Since you now have the 3gal-what I would recommend at this point-make a couple of back to back 25% water changes to try and clear the water up, turn off the filter or remove it all together for now, turn off the airstone too, turn off the light and hold food-give him some time to settle in and de-stress so to speak.....

Tomorrow make a 50% water change and offer food-remove it if he doesn't eat it and try again later.

Be sure the replacement water used for the water changes-is dechlorinated and is within a few degrees of the tank water to prevent any sudden extreme temp changes

Once he gets settle in-rinse the filter and filter media really good and try it again and see if he will tolerate it-if you want to use the filter.

Get on a regular water change schedule to maintain water quality

In 1-4gal unfiltered tanks without live plants-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality

In 1-4gal filtered tank-twice weekly water changes-1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality
Filter media-needs a rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain water flow.

Love to see some pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 
GraceStromer

Thank you so much! I will take the filter/airstone/light out tonight. Silly question: when I do the water changes, do I leave my Betta in the tank or transfer him to a different container?
I really, really appreciate the help!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #4 
Micho

I find that the whole process of catching them and cupping stresses them out. I always leave my fish in their tanks during water changes, siphons aren't that scary.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I agree....with partial water changes-I would leave the Betta in the tank, however, for 100% water changes you will have to cup them and you also need to re-acclimate them back to the new water by adding small amount of the new dechlorinated like temp tank water to them in the holding container over 10-15min or to their tolerance....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 
GraceStromer

So I just pour out 25%-50% of the water with him still in there?
Thanks so much!!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceStromer View Post
So I just pour out 25%-50% of the water with him still in there?
Thanks so much!!
Well, I'd suggest getting a siphon of some sort, and when you add new water, don't pour it in, cause it'll just create a strong current and freak your Betta out, also, disturb your substrate and it'll look all icky.

So what I do is just siphon in the new water, much better way of doing it.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 
GraceStromer

Ok, thanks for the advice! in a couple days I'll get a siphon if I can afford one.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #9 
GraceStromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

Since he is new-how did you acclimate him to the new water when you first added him to the 1gal tank.
I acclimated him by slowly adding water from the new tank to his container. Same with from the 1 gal to the 3 gal, except I also floated his container in the new water until both were about the same temp.