Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #1 
surprize30

Question Do you leave the female in the tank while the male is making his bubble nest?

i know your supost to put the feamlein the tank but were the male cant get to it im just wonderign if you put it in the tank were he cant get to it befor he makes the nest or after?
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 
tpocicat

Some males don't make a bubblenest until after they have spawned, each male is different. You just have to learn your male's way of doing things.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #3 
BeckyFish97

some males will build one of their own accord, some will build one if you put a female in but in a breeding trap (thats what I use) some wait till they have the eggs in their mouth!your male could be any one of the three, but I tend to watch to see if my male builds one, then put the female in in the breeding trap, and then when he has done some home improvements on the first nest and she is showing bars then I let her out
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 
KadenJames

After conditioning the pair for several weeks, set up your spawning tank and add live plants, indian almond leaves and/or a styrofoam cup cut in half, a submersible heater and a thermometer. I usually place the male in the tank first, let him roam around and explore his environment, then I add the female in a floating mason jar or the like near the IAL / styrofoam cup. The male will generally spend some time flaring and dancing for her, then he'll locate a spot to build his nest and will begin construction. I leave the pair in for a full 24 hours, and once he has a good start on the nest I'll release the female right before bedtime. He'll usually chase her around, and once she remains hidden somewhere he'll continue to build on the nest. When she gets the courage to investigate the nest, one of three things will happen- she'll tear up the nest because she doesn't approve of it, the male will chase her away again, or they will begin nosing each other's sides and wiggling their bodies and eventually try to embrace.

Try to leave the two alone while in the tank together- pushing your nose against the glass and watching their every move is distracting to them, and most of the time their focus is on you instead of each other.

*Edit: +1 to other answers, every male is different and may build nests at different times.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #5 
surprize30

so you do need live plants? and ik my male wil make the nest befor spawning hes already doen that i was jw if i shuld put her in the tan kwith him but were he cant get to her so theyll get used to each other a little??
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #6 
KadenJames

Yes, live plants are recommended as they provide hiding places for the female, as well as infusoria for the fry to eat for the first week. Don't let the pair see one another while conditioning, and when you introduce them to the tank float her in a jar for 24 hours.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #7 
surprize30

opk now conditioning what do you meen by this? just dechlorinizing or is there more? oviously im new to this and need to have everythign down packed to know how do make this next batch sucsessful
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #8 
KadenJames

I'm glad to see you are expanding your knowledge, it certainly is an interesting hobby. Conditioning the pair means warm, super-clean water and highly nutritious foods, such as brine shrimp, mosoquito larvae or bloodworms.

It seems as though you are asking questions about the basics of spawning bettas- look at the stickies at the top of this topic and you will find plenty of answers to all of your questions. www.bettysplendens.com is also a great place for awesome info.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #9 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
I'm glad to see you are expanding your knowledge, it certainly is an interesting hobby. Conditioning the pair means warm, super-clean water and highly nutritious foods, such as brine shrimp, mosoquito larvae or bloodworms.

It seems as though you are asking questions about the basics of spawning bettas- look at the stickies at the top of this topic and you will find plenty of answers to all of your questions. www.bettysplendens.com is also a great place for awesome info.
ok and when do you stop feeding them i here that they dont need to be fed certain times during breeding, ?? when do you stop feeding them?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #10 
KadenJames

Are you referring to the adults? It really depends on what you want to do. Some breeders will feed the male and female while in the tank together, others don't. Personally, I don't, because I want them to stay focused on spawning rather than fighting over food.