Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #11 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
Are you referring to the adults? It really depends on what you want to do. Some breeders will feed the male and female while in the tank together, others don't. Personally, I don't, because I want them to stay focused on spawning rather than fighting over food.
how many day do you usualy stop feeding them?
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #12 
KadenJames

During the entire spawning process. I'll feed them in the morning, then introduce them into the spawning tank in the afternoon/evening (with the female in the jar, separated from the male.) After 24 hours when the female is released, spawning usually occurs after 3-12 hours. The female is then removed after spawning and fed. The male stays in the tank and tends to the nest until the fry become freeswimming 3-4 days after hatching.

So, overall, the female will go approximately 2-3 days without food, and the male will go around 5-6 days. Every spawn is different. Bettas can go weeks without food and be fine, but this is why we condition them beforehand, so they can handle such an endeavor.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #13 
surprize30

so just dotn feed the the whoel time they can see each other?
and dotn feed the male until hes away from the babys?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #14 
KadenJames

Correct. ;)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #15 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
Correct. ;)
alright thanks (; i have a few more questions but ill have to ask u later the bell just rang at school but uhh add me as a friend and il ask em later (thanks for being so patient!!)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #16 
KadenJames

Why don't you send me a PM instead of making new threads for every topic? ;) I'll add you as a friend here in a bit.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #17 
EvilVOG

Basically you want to almost overfeed your pair so they're strong enough to breed, less likely to need fed, and less likely to eat eggs.

If it goes right, neither one will be there long enough to need food. My first female didn't work so i had to feed my male after it did work with the second. I fed him very small amounts but he was a great dad and wouldn't hardly look away from the nest anyway.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #18 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprize30 View Post
so just dotn feed the the whoel time they can see each other?
and dotn feed the male until hes away from the babys?
I tried to feed my big ear half moon after I removed the female and he was tending the eggs on advice from here. He totally ignored the bloodworms that he loves and they just lay on the bottom of the tank until I removed them.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote