Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #11 
KadenJames

It's certainly better than nothing. You can buy heaters on eBay for $9 with free shipping. I just purchased several, and they work great.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #12 
Crowntailed

That depends on how hot your room is?
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 
Junglist

If you live in a place that is warm climate all year long then you don't have to have a heater but if you in an area of 4 seasons then it's mandatory while breeding,
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

My fish room is heated to 82F (usually). The water temps are around 80F. I place my spawn tubs on the top shelf of my 6ft industrial shelf and the temps stay around 84F.

Bettas are tropical fish and tropical temps are in the high 80s and 90s. 80F is cold as far as tropical goes so I keep my bettas in the mid 80s.

@Kaden... those heaters work? AWESOME! I'm going to need some starting in the fall since my fish room can only be heated comfortably in the spring/summer.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #15 
KadenJames

MrV, they certainly do work. =) The only downsides are the prongs to the outlet slip out real easy, so you kind of have to bend them outwards so they stay put. And the cord is pretty short, probably 15 inches or so. That's a pain too, but I'd say worth the $9 definitely.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #16 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
MrV, they certainly do work. =) The only downsides are the prongs to the outlet slip out real easy, so you kind of have to bend them outwards so they stay put. And the cord is pretty short, probably 15 inches or so. That's a pain too, but I'd say worth the $9 definitely.
Plugs slipping out of the outlet means your outlet is worn, not a bad plug. Time to change the outlet. Also I buy the best heaters I can find as a failed heater can cause a lot of killed fish...

The Coralife are very expensive in the pet shops, for a 100W are 40 bucks plus, but I get them online for 20 - 25 bucks.... Settable and fully adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #17 
KadenJames

The prongs slip out in both my wall outlets as well as my brand new extension cords. It's the plug, not the outlet. :) Heck, I'd rather pay a great price for something that works just as well as the expensive variety. It's job is to heat the water, and it does it without a problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

Also heaters go out within a few years -_- It's cheaper to replace the cheaper ones than the more expensive ones.

I've been around the block with heaters and I've found no particular heater to last very long with constant use. Hence the reason I start pulling them when I can heat the fish room without too much strain on my space heater.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Also fry need the stable temperature that only an aquarium heater or purposefully heated room can provide. Sudden fluctuations in temperature by even a few degrees can be enough to kill off the weakest and stress out the strongest.

I know even in summer in my bedroom the temperature can swing quite rapidly and if your tank is not a decent size, it will cause spikes and drops in temperature.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #20 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
The prongs slip out in both my wall outlets as well as my brand new extension cords. It's the plug, not the outlet. :) Heck, I'd rather pay a great price for something that works just as well as the expensive variety. It's job is to heat the water, and it does it without a problem.
If your heater prong is loose that's usually a big no no or any prong. That can have a big risk and may cause a spike on your heater and cause it to blow and spark your outlet.

If your going to buy a heater that is made out country always look for reviews on that product online to be on the safe side and (UL) certified. Sometimes cheap can have a risk
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote