Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #41 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboroack View Post
Bettas are lucky to get 80 degree water in the wild.. I walked through marshes to find wild ones. Pretty sure it was not 80 lol
In the wild it may not be 80 degrees water, yet the Betta has hundreds of eggs each spawning, and how many spawnings a year? There is a reason there are so many eggs. It is to ensure the propagation of the species in a harsh environment...

Now "ideal" conditions are somewhere between 80 and 84. Trial and error has found this results in the maximum survival rate. Can you breed in colder? Someone would have to do the study, I am just concerned with what is proven and works.

Not an expert, just know what works for me.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #42 
KadenJames

Keep in mind that wild bettas are very, very different from Betta splendins. Splendins are a lot more sensitive to water quality and temperature, which means their fry are THAT much more sensitive to it. Wild bettas are ridiculously hardy, and don't have long, glamorous fins draining their energy. If a splendin fry survives cooler water, it will grow up more slowly and will be smaller, stunted compared to heated water adults. It will also be weaker and a lot more susceptible to disease.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #43 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
In the wild it may not be 80 degrees water, yet the Betta has hundreds of eggs each spawning, and how many spawnings a year? There is a reason there are so many eggs. It is to ensure the propagation of the species in a harsh environment...

Now "ideal" conditions are somewhere between 80 and 84. Trial and error has found this results in the maximum survival rate. Can you breed in colder? Someone would have to do the study, I am just concerned with what is proven and works.

Not an expert, just know what works for me.
While I was still living in Hawaii back in 96' I bred my first betta didn't know nothing about them I didn't even used a heater cause it was warm climate all year long, the coldest it would get is maybe 68 degrees. One day I was so curious and excited like a kid with a new toy when I bought my first VT female, all I had was a 10 gal tank, anacharis, wax paper and betta pair and I surprisingly succeeded with egg yolks, infusoria and frozen BBS. So in my opinion if you want to start without a heater start when your climate is warm were it gets warm at night too
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #44 
Sena Hansler

I don't say start out that way... Butr I guess it's up to the individual.
I took the safe route and listened to people on here and made sure my temperature was 80-84 xD Right now for conditioning, I use black water extract (something new to me to try), sponge filter that is cycled, and fed lots of protein rich foods including live foods. Flaring every day as well, and getting a female eggy

Also if you can, order some IAL (indian almond leaves). They are a natural conditioner, tints the water, and helps towards breeding a pair. Plus the male may decide to use them for his nest
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #45 
KadenJames

+1

I'm super curious about Teak tree leaves. I've heard breeders in Thailand are using them more and more, they have the same benefits as IAL but they strengthen the scales on the fish and burn away fat, making them more lean and muscular. The leaves also last longer.

I probably wouldn't use them in spawning tanks because they remove fat, and I like my growing fry as plump as I can get them. But I think they'd be pretty great for conditioning.

*hovers over "add to cart" button*
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

I never heard of those! -will now look them up-
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #47 
KadenJames

http://www.bettawan.com/teak_leaves.html

They're a lot cheaper than IAL, too. $10.50 for 100g.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #48 
Sena Hansler

I noticed. I mean I pay 5.00 for 6 leaves, plus shipping... This one is 20 leaves for less, and low shipping cost... -notes to self :lol
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #49 
KadenJames

*FREE shipping!! It sure makes it hard not to order them. x.x But like I said, I'm afraid to use them in fry tanks because they melt fat. =/
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #50 
Sena Hansler

I'd use them for... hmm... .. .. Don't you need the father to be energetic and fattened up though? :/

On a side note, if someone cannot get IAL get dried Oak Leaves.