Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 
wickedrodent

Divided 29 gallon?

Has anyone ever divided a 29 gallon for bettas? I want to divide it in 5-6 sections, which would be 5-6 gallons each. I have the supplies to make the dividers but I was curious to see if anyone has pictures for one, if one has been made?

If you've done it - how well did it work?

Thanks!
wickedrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Eh, dividing a 29g into 5-6 only gives them 5-6" of room side to side and a really tall section of the tank. Bettas like shallow and wide areas, not narrow and tall. Although it sounds wonderful to have a larger tank with 5-6 Bettas in it, a regular 29g isn't my choice personally. BUT They do have 29g Long tanks, that would be amazing. So yeah, I personally have never divided a tank larger than a 10g. I think there are some on here who have or at least have attempted it.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Pitluvs is right. Dividing a 29 gal would be too tall for betta. However, 20 gal long tanks are just as long as a 29 gal, but they are about half the height. I have seen those tanks divided for 4-5 males. That would make a good tank, but you would probably need 2 heaters and 2 filters. I would just save the 29 gal for something like a community or a sorority.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

I did it for a while. It looks pretty funny in my opinion but it was that or buy a different tank, so it's up to you. Even though they had more space vertically, I think they enjoyed it more than when we put them in the 20 long.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #5 
XxBettaLoverxX

Yes I was wanting to divide my new 25 gallon into 3 sections. I wish someone had pics of their divided bigger tanks. I currently have a 10 gallon divided into 3 sections but I want more room for my bettas.

@Pitluvs
You are only thinking of the space in the front of the tank for how much room they would have to swim, but in reality the bettas would have 13+ inches from the front of the tank to the back of the tank to swim. (basically the width of the tank in the tank dimensions)
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #6 
wickedrodent

Technically the 29 gallon would be the same as the 20 gallon long, just taller.. I think. So basically if I just didn't fill it all the way it would be the same dimensions. I definitely plan to try it out... not sure if I'll keep it or not. Thanks for the help!

I'd still love to see pictures if anyone has them. ^_^
wickedrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #7 
Kim

I was going to try it a few years back but decided against it because I figured it'd be way to hard to heat. Since I live in a colder climate my tanks are prone to getting lots of cold spots unless I have good water circulation...which probably would have meant using 3 filters and 3 heaters for the tank. Also, it may get pretty hard to clean with all those dividers in there.

However, I've seen some really neat 29 gallon setups for wild betta species, some of which I've heard are quite personable and fun to watch. If I ever had a 29 gallon come my way again I would definitely try this ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #8 
XxBettaLoverxX

Here is a link I found on accident lol it's a divided 29 gallon into 5 sections.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...c-heavy-34594/
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote