Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: How many of you would participate?
DEFINITELY!!! 240 85.71%
Mm, maybe. 39 13.93%
Definitely NOT! 1 0.36%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #521 
xXGalaxyXx

Holy fluff, what a gorgeous betta <3 Congrats a123andpoof! You'll have a lot of fun when he gets there, I'm totally jealous. cx
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #522 
Petsushi

Congrats again, a123andpoof! :) The lucky betta you chose is so gorgeous! Please upload lots of pics when you get him, I'm sure we'd all love to see!
Petsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #523 
KadenJames

Twilight, he's definitely a marble betta. A good way to tell is to look at the gill plate- marbles often have oddly colored gill plates. That's why people have to be very careful when buying "Koi" bettas. They are just marbles, and nine times out of ten they WILL shift colors during shipping. Here's some Koi with the colored gill plate that tell you they're marbles-

Grizzle bettas are classified as an iridescent color over a flat color. Most commonly iridescent blue over opaque, like this guy-

Here are the faults a grizzle could have-

Too much black- would be moved to marble category.
Too much red- would be moved to multicolor category.
A butterfly pattern- would be moved to the BF category.
Too much opaque/pastel, not enough iridescence- could be moved to the opaque/pastel category.

You don't see too many of them, but they are gorgeous. Kind of a pain to breed for, though.

As for the acclimation, I always cut the bags open and dump the fish with the water into a jar. I float the jars in one of my big sorority tanks so that the temperature acclimates, and every twenty minutes or so I add a turkey baster full of their new tank water. After about an hour of bastering (if that's a word… rofl) I dump them into ther new tanks. It's always worked for me, and I've never had an import just die on me like some people have. o_O
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #524 
a123andpoof

Thanks. I was thinking he was a marble but not 100% sure.

So would the same method work putting him in another bettas cup, floating the cup in the water and slowly acclimating them as i would any other betta? Just slowly adding water through the top?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #525 
Sena Hansler

That's what I did. I do it for any betta...Actually I think for my shipped bettas, I took a longer time than a pet store betta acclimation!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #526 
a123andpoof

Yeah his tank will be set up the day before, maybe even a little sooner so it will be ready for him. And then I will acclimate him for probally an hour just to make sure he adjusts well. I am going to be very cautious lol
Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #527 
Twilight Storm

Thanks for the explanation Kaden. I'm printing up that post as I type to add to my betta stuff.

I have one marble fish (guy in my avatar) he seems to change color patterns at the drop of a hat. His eyes even turned red. When I got my avatar fish I guessed he was a "monster". Got that name from aquabid listings of fish like him. Figured it was just a fancy way to say: "Look at me and buy me for my neat name." (or because his color combo was so garish.)

123andpoof- I hope your move goes smoothly! Glad that everything worked out so you don't need to worry about that and then moving him again! :D Meant to say something in the other post. I can't wait until you are settled in and can get more pictures. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #528 
a123andpoof

Thank you! And I can't wait pics will go up as soon as he arrives and is settled!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #529 
Laki

Why will they marble during shipping?? Wouldn't shipping them cause stress? I thought they might marble while they're happy in a nice tank?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #530 
KadenJames

Bettas usually shift color during stressful times anyways (they usually pale out in color,) the same happens with marbles, only to an extreme level. Their color will usually shift to a darker color when they feel at home, and to an opaque / fleshy color when they are stressed.

Here's a picture of one of my marbles when he was in Thailand-

And here's what he looked like the night he shipped in-

Here's what he looks like now, after he settled in-
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assault0137 was here, hello!, kaden is a legend!!!, kaden is awesome!!!, legend of the black dog, legend of the great wolf, thank you kaden!!