Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Definitely debate a bunny... trust me. I WORKED with them, and as much as I thought I wanted one I don't know x.x spaying and nuetering is a must... Males WILL spray and it is very...very...smelly...

Plus take in mind life span. Just for my guineas, they can live 4-8 year usually... I pay 30.00 monthly for food, hay, etc, plus leaned towards fleece to save me 15-30.00 extra a month... And guineas don't need as big of a cage as a bunny D: Plus what if's and all, and what happens when _______ happens, and all that :p

Trust me you want to do research of pros and cons :) do what if's, do what happens when _____ happens, and if someone has a bunny, even ask if you can take care of it for a few weeks. ON HAND experience will teach you more than google for sure.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #12 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Definitely debate a bunny... trust me. I WORKED with them, and as much as I thought I wanted one I don't know x.x spaying and nuetering is a must... Males WILL spray and it is very...very...smelly...

Plus take in mind life span. Just for my guineas, they can live 4-8 year usually... I pay 30.00 monthly for food, hay, etc, plus leaned towards fleece to save me 15-30.00 extra a month... And guineas don't need as big of a cage as a bunny D: Plus what if's and all, and what happens when _______ happens, and all that :p

Trust me you want to do research of pros and cons :) do what if's, do what happens when _____ happens, and if someone has a bunny, even ask if you can take care of it for a few weeks. ON HAND experience will teach you more than google for sure.
Yes you have to look at the bad points as well as the good, because if you don't go into owning a bunny knowing the facts about what you're letting yourself in for then you will end up regretting it, and that isnt fair for you or the bunny!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think the single most responsible thing a pet owner can do, when they hear someone wants an animal, is to tell them all the negatives, all the bad stuff, why they're terrible pets. It sounds odd, but that's what you do when someone's considering getting into falconry, that's the first thing your mentor will try to do, try and talk you out of it. Any animal is a huge commitment (especially a falcon lol) and if a person isn't willing to go through all the negatives, then they aren't ready for the animal.
After that, you can tell them about how awesome an animal is, of course.
Rabbit pee is one of the nastiest things ever. They are not the smelliest animal I've dealt with (snake omg), but they are pretty bad. I never got allergies to my bunny, but I did get allergies to my mice and it was hard when my dad forced me to take them back to the store.
I've found the best way to cuddle a bunny is to just lay on the floor and pet them. It's less scary for them when you get down to their level.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #14 
HelloThere123Betta

Thanks guys so much for all the advice, I will DEFINATELY be waiting for awhile to debate, also because I don't have much money to help out. I understand that they will have to be spayed/neutered which is why I do really want to get one from the Humane Society, or an Animal Shelter. By getting one from an Animal Shelter, does anyone know the differance in price there will be, or will it generally be the same?
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #15 
HelloThere123Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
How old are you? I am really impressed by that Prezi! Good job! That will help win them over! Also tell them rabbits are quieter than most pets, and that you need a companion.
Thanks! I'm 16 years old.
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #16 
Laki

We only have one bunny/small animal rescue for the province!! So all the shelters are in touch with the volunteers and facebook is the biggest means for transportation for the little guys. Facebook has really made our small animal rescue what it is.

All the rabbits are adopted out fixed and vet checked so the adoption fee is 75$. That's nothing considering the cost of having your own pet includes buying it and then taking it to be spayed. A spay costs about 250$ !!! (Or it did 5.5 years ago! lol) So rescuing is DEFINITELY the way to save money, plus save a life!

I agree with Sena. I always tell people the negatives first, not to scare them but to give them a wake up call. The pet stores around here would never hire me! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Think someone said this, but a shelter will let you foster a bunny too, which is a good way to decide if you want one for real.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #18 
EverythingNice55

It takes A LOT of responsibility, and most of the times people get sick of their pet after a few months...but if you REAAAALLY want one, you should prove you're ready! Doing extra chores is a way to go, too! Or, just but one and say your friend bought you one! LOL, okay don't actually do that, but the shore thingy is good! :D
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote