Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 
clh101

Cool College, Dorm

Hey guys, I'm new to Betta site. Although I've had Bettas since I was little. My first lived to be 6 years old :) And many others lived for long time.

I have a question though- I need a small tank, and fish for college. Want little pet yeah know, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions? Since it is college and all I'll clean tanks, etc like usually do, but I don't think a 10 gallon tank will fit with the dorm room spaces we have. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
clh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #2 
copperarabian

You could do a small planted tank with ghost shrimp. Or, a male betta aquarium, or a paradise fish, although they need a little more room because of how active they are.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

The only fish really suited for being kept in anything under a 10 gallon is a betta (male or female). I had a 5 gallon tank with a male betta while I was in college. It fit perfectly on my desk. If you can, get something that is wider rather than taller, but if space is a premium then a tall tank like a 5 gallon hexagon would work.

While I can't find the exact model I had as I don't think it's made anymore, this looks like a good tank: Aqueon Mini Bow 5 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit - Fish - Sale - PetSmart Just make sure you have a heater.

And welcome to the forum!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #4 
sami809

what's the biggest you can go? i've had my fair share of fish tanks in my dorm room so i think i know what i'm talking about c:
if you want a 2.5 gallon, go for Aqueon's fish tanks. i've had a few of those and they're great. however, i'd personally go for Aqueon's 5 gallon tank. those two options are pretty well priced.
right now i have the Ecoxotic EcoPico tank. it's 5 gallons BUT it is pretty pricey. however, i love the tank and HIGHLY suggest it.
sami809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
clh101

The biggest we can have is a 5 gallon because of how small the rooms are and depending on if it's a double or triple- very small and only get a desk, and a dresser, no other surface areas..... :(
I was just wondering because I've been reading that everyone's way of taking care of them is totally different- heater, no-heater, small tank, large tank.
clh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #6 
sami809

well i suggest you go for the 5 gallon. you won't reget it. your little guy will be so happy c:
just be sure to have a filter and a heater seeing as though they are topical fish, they need warmer water.
sami809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #7 
Laki

Anything 2.5 g or larger. Plus a heater. If the 5g are cheap and you can afford a heater then do that (but cost will be a bot more to fill it with plants and decorations) I love keeping a medium PetSmart brand kritter keeper (it's equivelant to the large Zoo med KK for gallons I think) but it cost me 14.99. Heater was cheap too, less than 20$. And gravel cost me 5$ for a medium bag. Dollar store has silk plants (make sure to check them for exposed wire! And don't get those!!!) and now they have statues and decorations in the pet section. Plus extremely cheap terra cotta pots.
I got Bowser's set up for about 40$, fish included.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #8 
Jessicatm137

Welcome! I know this is a little late but I would do a 5 gallon with a Betta and maybe a snail or shrimp. ( Ghost or cherry shrimp ). Yes, Bettas DO need a heater and bigger is better for tank size.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #9 
Ramble

The 2.5 gallon aquarium kits work well- most come with a filter and a light, so all you need is a heater. There are a lot of affordable small heaters for tanks that are 2 to 5 gallons. Ask around the forum, as I've heard some mini heaters work better than others.
I vote betta as well! Add a shrimp or snail and some plants, and your little guy (or gal) will have a great home!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Paradise fish need a minimum 20 gallons for one fish. x.x
I agree, go as big as you can. And $40 I find is a good rough idea of one small set up start up cost. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote