Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

First Timer

Well today I finally bit the bullet, chucked a pair in a spawning tank, and have started the conditioning process.

The male was bred by Interbettas, and the female is a sibling with similar colouring and nice enough form. Hoping to gets lots and lots of marble females as I'm essentially a krazy kolour breeder Have another pair of marble HMs from Interbettas that I will probably be attempting to spawn as well.

Soon as the water clears I will get some nice shots of them strutting their stuff.

Wish me luck! Hopefully his tail doesn't get chomped as he is the nicest male I own appearance wise.

Figured if I'm hatching out BBS and culturing grindals, MWs and VEs for my wild betta and pseudomugil fry, might as well add splendens to the mix as well haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 
Boikazi4o9

He got very nice color. Love to see the outcome of the frys! Gl on the spawn!
Boikazi4o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

wow this is interesting :D i'll be watching (probably not posting ;p)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Haha at the moment not much to report. They ate some frozen bloodworms and the female is trying to figure out why she can't get out of the jar.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Got some photos of the pair and my set-up. Female is still pretty freaked but hoping she settles down soon. She is usually yellow and blue, but got washed out when I came over.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You're suppose to condition them before chucking 'em in the breeding tank.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

They have been conditioned for the past two week on live and frozen foods, plus their regular pellets along with a couple of my other pairs as I wasn't sure who I was breeding.

By 'conditioning' I meant introducing them to each other and getting the male to get his butt into gear and build a bubblenest. Probably should have said the 'introduction/flirtation' stage but couldn't think of what to call it at the time.

Just keeping the good food up to them until the female is released from her jar.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 
jeffegg2

As far as feeding, all my fish are always conditioned... I feed nothing but frozen or live foods... So conditioning for me as well just means introducing and getting them used to each other.....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Well I took the original female out as she was just lying non-responsive on the bottom of the jar and the male lost complete interest in doing anything but swimming around.

Put in a super blue HMPK female who is a little hornbag and who I was originally going to cross him with. She barred up almost immediately and there is now a nice-sized bubblenest that the male has been working on overnight.

Going to give them a couple more days and judging by their behaviour will let the female out and see how things go.

Hopefully if I get a nice male out of these two, the plan is to cross back to the original sibling sister to try and maintain the colour and form.

He actually has two bubblenests. Just found one under his cup.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 05-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.