Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Breeding choice :)

Okay, so I've got four males I love... Big Red turned to be a delta, he's all red! Here is a really old picture of him... he's grown more now. Now, he is very spunky and loves to flare at anything

The fighter, (the next few pics) I had to put him in a divided tank to get him to flare

The double tail, is orange and blue. Loves to show off

The CT looks fairly young especially since his caudal is rather short... I need to get him to flare!!! Same with the HM....

And I do have a halfmoon who's father was a black HM, canadian bred. And I'll have to get a better picture of him :)

I know the color choice isn't wide, but that's what I have

Last picture is my double tail!! <3 better picture haha

Only females I have seem to be VT. we suck for selection here. I'll wait a bit to see what I can get, hopefully some plakats or even HM females.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 04-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #2 
jeffegg2

Cool

If you breed plain old VT bettas, you will have no market for them and if you give them away they probably will live a life in a small jar somewhere.....

An initial investment of good stock will return at the very least your initial investment, and ensure better placement for your fish.

Breeding bettas is fun! Breeding bettas that you can actually sell is even more fun!!!

Enjoy!
Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

hence why I asked her for 1 crowntail, 1 halfmoon and 1 fighter three different males! Then she threw in a VT female and a double tail for free.. the very DT I wanted but passed up! xD Plus they are imported asides from Red who is from the city....
and the HM which is canadian bred with a black HM father with magnificant finnage... And are higher quality than what I can find here.

All I need now is a canadian with non-VT females that way we can have a higher chance of cancelling out that dominant VT trait!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Like I said, if all goes well I'll send you some HM girlies when my spawn(s) are of appropriate age. Early fall I suspect should everything go as planned. Did you see my female, I think she's beautiful. Hope you can find some pretty HM girls soon though :) I gotta agree with Jeff though, sometimes it's better to wait until you can get a good breeding stock to start spawning. I have tons of males and females, but I refuse to spawn them because they are just pet store VT or whatever. I needed some specifically for breeding, so I can ensure they get good homes. People around here see Betta and they think, VT. Those who will see mine and know they are HM are into Bettas and have a better chance at taking great care of them. I have a beautiful Red Butterfly CT that I always wanted to breed but could never find a CT female :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

First male is a VT.

Unless you have HM females you will not get anything selling worthy from these fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well I doubt anyone around here would want to buy a betta over the price of a wholesale betta >< however, color and finnage does tend to be best. More people I've noticed here prefer the wider caudals, or the more even spread. I'm not looking for anything fancy :3

Mr Vampire, what's your imput on that crowntail's caudal? To me it's awfully short.and not chewed or anything. D:

Pitluvs, awesome =D I always liked looking at your bettas.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

CTs = bad for breeding for newbies.

CTs have fin issues that take years to figure out how to keep them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Oh mine are nothing to look at, but I adore them lol But I gotta start out at the bottom and work my way into something spectacular, but might as well start out with a pair of HM and work on body formation. There is NOTHING on the East Coast, only one breeder. I'm totally in the same boat as you :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

pitluvs, still love your bettas :3

Ok, Mr Vampire, makes sense - but my question is is his caudal short because of being young, or will it stay like that? I hope it doesn't xD
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Pitluvs, there is one importer/breeder - I like her :) very nice, reasonable shipping (Ontario based). But finding anything but VT females is a kick in the butt!!

BTW... how to tell a VT female from PK female? since mine are all VT, they all have different fin lengths - like Savannah. Thicker, bigger bodied with shorter fins.