Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #1 
JennybugJennifer

Bamboo and water changes

So I want to post a couple of pictures and see if how I placed the bamboo is good. And also I'm not sure how to clean the gravel without a gravel vacuum. I'm going to be doing weekly 1/2 - 1/3 water changes but I don't know about the gravel? Would an algae eater fish be a good addition?
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #2 
JennybugJennifer

Also I need more opinions on whether a split 2.5 rank for two Bettas is healthy?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #3 
Mo

I would place the stalk of the bamboo slightly higher as the leaves look like they are still partially submerged.

No. I would not recommend an algae eater as they don't clean waste from the tank as they are advertised, most algae eaters won't eat what is most commonly in aquariums. Fish waste, and decaying organic matter, I would just recommend using a siphon/turkey baster to clean fish waste/decaying organic matter.or take out the gravel completely
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #4 
JennybugJennifer

Hmm all the vacuums I see are Ginormous
The ones stock has a leaf that's wilted but other than that it's above water.
And I really need the gravel to hold the real plants. I'm going to add more taller ones to obscure the divider since someone thought it a genious idea to make slits in a divider for a tank for semi aggressive fish :/
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #5 
jase

splitting 2.5 G is kind of pushing the limits, you really should have at least 5 G per fish..............

best not directly place the bamboo into your aquarium, chance are that it will rot and cause problems.
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #6 
JennybugJennifer

What's the minimum a Betta can live in? In already really tight on money and can really only afford to get a heater now
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #7 
Mo

About a gallon would be the prefered minimum

I would work on getting another heater and not anything else, bettas are tropical fish and are more succeptable to diseases when not in stable water of a temperature around 78

I wouldn't split the 2.5 either, most 2.5 gallon tanks I see don't have a good/optimal surface Area and foot print to happily house 2 male bettas, while it could potentially work. It would be kinda pushing the limits even if each fish does have the prefered minimum. But if you do divide it you would need extra precations with water changes and do around x3 50% and x2 100% weekly
Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #8 
JennybugJennifer

5 water changes a week?!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #9 
Mo

If you have 2 bettas in a 2.5 gallon. Yes. The ammonia content would be very high and has the ability to get that high very fast. But with only 1 Betta you are looking at water changes of x1 50%, and x1 100% water change weekly to keep ammonia minimal in anything downwards of 5 gallons
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #10 
JennybugJennifer

Even with a filter?