Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #1 
TheCheese909

Fin Rot?

My Halfmoon Eery seems like he has fin rot. I noticed a week ago or so that his tail was a bit ripped up and hadn't been getting any better. About 3 or 4 days ago his skirt (anal fin) seemed to have become somewhat transparent around the bottom, like a moth eaten jacket of sorts.

He was in a 4 gallon filtered, heated aquarium.

For the past week he has been in QT tanks of 1 gallon. I leave him in one 1 gallon aquarium and keep the other filled overnight so when I get up I can just place him into the other 1 gallon QT without having to wait for any water to acclimate. He's been in the QTs for this past week with Stress Coat and 1teaspoon of aquarium salt. It doesn't seem to be working much at all, he's now got a little bit of his dorsal fin missing as well.

What kind of medication can I use for him that will work the best?

Here is a list of all the medications that I have on hand; I can go out and buy others if needed:

Stress Coat (always use this)

Aquarium Salt

Epsome Salt

Jungle Fungus Clear (fizz tabs)

Bettafix

Maracyn

Maracyn 2

MarOxy

API Super Ick Cure

Jungle Ick Guard

Coppersafe

Maracide

As far as I know Maracyn and Maracyn 2 are good for Fin Rot, but I also see that the Jungle Fungus Clear can be good for getting rid of Fin Rot as well.. What should I do?
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

Can you get a good picture?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

He's a little bit difficult to take pictures of because he's an all black fish. The see through bit of his anal fin doesn't show up as well but you can see the red blister/bubbles at the tips of his tail, which I couldn't even see with just my eyes (or with using my little flash light).

He never flares out entirely, so it's hard to get a good picture of his dorsal fin which also has some tearing. Since i've been doing the daily water changes his tail has slowed down with the receding/ripping but his anal fin withering has just showed up in the past day or so.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ERYFINROT5.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ERYFINROT4.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ERYFINROT3.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ERYFINROT2.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ERYFINROT1.jpg

If it's not, any idea what else it could be? He was living in a tank with silk plants so that he wouldn't get torn up. I just put this large leaf plastic lilly in with him today because he was getting depressed and he's much more active now. He still eats.

I know he looks fat in the pictures but he's been like that since I got him back in November, I don't feed him a whole lot otherwise he gets really fat, he's just a fat fish- he poops plenty. lol
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

It's really hard to tell. He could be tailbiting or it could be fin rot. I would PM a moderator and voice your concerns. It's really hard to see with him being all black. I do know that clear fins (or white) can be evidence of regrowth. The red may not be anything either. Make sure you don't use aquarium salt for more than 10 days.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 
TheCheese909

It's not tailbiting, I had a fish do that already, it doesn't look the same. I've been watching him for that too and he doesn't bite his tail. I'm going to watch him like this for acouple more days I think and see what happens then I supposed I'll start him on some Maracyn 1 & 2 or something.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #6 
LazLoe

I'm interested in how things are going there.

I have a fish doing the same thing. The ends of the fins look like they are thinning and tearing. Overall color on the rest of the fish looks fine. Appetite is great and he is very active.

Here are before and after pics..
http://imgur.com/a/0k2Nq

Here is a video before..
http://youtu.be/zz3HfTLKVXg

and after..
http://youtu.be/YvvSMtw1pVE

10 gallon divided running for less than 1 month so far.
Under gravel filter with 10g AquaClear power filter connected to it running 24/7 with redirected water flow, other side has a stone to provide better water flow.
Temp stays steady at 78, currently just above 80.
Tank was not cycled before starting, water was just changed 40% with gravel cleaning. Used mix of purified and recovered water.

Water is very hard, was lowered a bit with water change, reused some of the old water to control Ph drop.
Nitrates, Nitrites and chlorine are nil.
Alkalinity has been 300+ but has dropped under 300 now.
Ph looks to be close to 7.8 now but was highest reading before water swap.

I use a dechlorinator on tap water and have used a TopFin Bacteria Supplement in the beginning and after the water change, 5ml as directed.
LazLoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #7 
AllyEd64

good morning ... I am writing for a friend who is concerned about his Betta. He sent me pics of him this morning and I'm not sure if this is fin rot or not ... would appreciate any help with this.

These pics are from last night/this morning (2:30 am EDT)

This is a pic of "Bob" from 5/1/2012

The "before" pic was taken the night a snail and small frog were introduced ... the frog has been taken out and relocated to another tank ... Not sure if the snail has anything to do with it or not.

Thanks for reading and helping.
AllyEd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #8 
AllyEd64

Unhappy update ....

Just to let anyone know who may have read my initial post ... "Bob" has died. :'( Very sad ...
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #9 
LinkLover

My betta is doing the same thing! I just noticed on Saturday so it is recent, but like you have said he is active, eating, and totally normal besides his ripped/discolored fins. And I don't believe it is fin rot, since his water conditions are always good, so it seems we have something strange going on.

AllyEd64 I'm so sorry to hear that. :(
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #10 
AllyEd64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
My betta is doing the same thing! I just noticed on Saturday so it is recent, but like you have said he is active, eating, and totally normal besides his ripped/discolored fins. And I don't believe it is fin rot, since his water conditions are always good, so it seems we have something strange going on.

AllyEd64 I'm so sorry to hear that. :(
Thank you so much ... it was his first "pet" all on his own ... he's really having a hard time with this. Hopefully he will decide to have another ... Bob lived almost a year.