Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

the day all hell broke loose

So i was stuck studying for finals for the last month. Still managing to do water changes feedings etc. Anyways, on sat I was at a wedding preparing etc and when i woke up sunday, my white delta male was at the bottom dead and my black HM looked dead. I have been doing water changes and the smell was HORRRIBLE! I'm a bio major so for me to say it stinks, it stinks. And so i went to scoop them out and bury them, but my black hm was alive! i put him in clean water and broke down the tank (it was divided with sand substrate live planta and a heater 10 gal) i gave my two 2 gals in the same room 100% water changes as well. I had left over water so i went to dump it into my 40g sorority when i noticed the water got really murky and i noticed only 2 girls came up and the day before they were all there for food. Thats when i saw the bodies. It was a BLOODBATH. i was SO UPSET. I've had this sorority up and running for aboit 8 months. So i cupped the two girls and last albino cory who was alive. Ugh so sad. Anyways i ended up spending sunday morning breaking down the 40 setting up the 10 g for my black hm male and the cory cat who is getting 3 more buddies tomorrow, and putting my last two girls in 1.75 kk and a 1 gal. Until i cn uograde im keeping them there. Anyways i have pictures of my black hm, my two girls my orange hm, my dbt mle who was tailbitig but isgetting betterand turned red, my hmpk dragon and my hmpk who has one big ear and one small one (he has a deformity i got him from petco). Anyways enjoy the pics and if anyone knows what might have happened tell me!
Attached Images

Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

The boys who have fin damage are alone and i honestly dont know why they bite. They get water changes and theyll grow fina in be fine then chew at them. It sucks
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

Oookay lol thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 
Luimeril

it could just be the change in weather making everyone go crazy. :I for your girls, that is. for your boys... idk, man. i'm sorry 'bout your white male. :<
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #5 
NoahG

So sorry to hear about what happened -- I can't imagine waking up to that...

On a positive note: you have some really gorgeous fish.

Is it at all possible that there were anaerobic pockets or something? That's about the only thing I can think of...no idea if that might be too dramatic a result for anaerobic pockets though, and I'm assuming you didn't find anything else that may have caused it when you broke the tanks down.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

When i found him dead i had no idea why the tank reiked though. Ive never smelles or had a tank smell that bad. So gross! But the black male was close to death. I put him in clean water in the same tank and hes fine. My white male was marbeling nicely i was so sad. Especially since the both boys had huge bubble nests going as well. Thanks guys for the compliments!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 
NoahG

Yea, that was one of the things that made me think possibly the pockets (I've heard they can smell like sulfur or something). But I could be completely off the mark because if not that, and it does seem rather dramatic to be the pockets, then I have no idea.

And, of course: they really are very nice-looking fish.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

The thing is in the two way divided 10 gal where the guys were i only has it up and running for like maybe a month. I guess it may be that tho. Cuz the smell was rank. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 
NoahG

Not sure how long it takes for them to build up...but no problem, I figured even if I was wrong maybe it would get the ball rolling to figuring it out.

Hopefully you are able to get it figured out: hopefully someone with a better idea comes along and helps you out.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #10 
Gizmothefreaky

Oh my goodness!! Im so sorry about all your fish! I know how that feels though to have all your girls up and die on you for apparently no reason... :(

Everyone else looks good though!

Wish you all the luck figuring out what happened!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote