Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

Question Tetra Whisper 2-15g or Hydor 15w mini heater for 1.75g tank?

I've seen on the forum that some people have the Tetra Submersible heater (2-15g) that you can buy at Walmart in 1.5g tanks. Do they work well in that size? I'm wondering because I have a fish who needs a heater (he's sick, so he needs it right away), and his tank is about 1.75g (with decorations already in there), so I was wondering if I could safely put one of those in his tank. I have them in other tanks that are a bit bigger (2.5-3g), and I find that it usually keeps those size tanks around 75 degrees.

Does anyone know if they're any good for a 1.75g?

I have a Hydor 15w mini-heater that I could use, but it doesn't have a shut off, and I don't want to overheat the tank.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 
newfiedragon

Anyone?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
lelei

I just recently got the Tetra 2-10 for up to a 10 gal tank and I have a 3 gal tank that gets about 76/78 degrees, and it seems fine, for your tank which is less than 2 gal I am not sure if it will over heat, make sure you have a themomometer on or in the tank to monitor it properly, and test in the water of the same size without the fishy in the water to see if it would overheat. Or just go up to a 3 gal. if possible. Good luck I hope you find something suitable.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
happypappy

mini heaters

I have tried a couople of heaters in my 1.75 tank, but have had varied luck. Once I found my tank up to 90 degress and going.

The best I have found is the marina mini heater. It has a light that shows if it is on and you can check the temp.

good luck.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #5 
newfiedragon

I have the Marina 10w in one of my other tanks and love it, but unfortunately I can't really afford another one. They cost $27.99 at the local petsmart. I put the hydor 15w mini-heater in and it seems to be working well so far. I'm keeping an eye on it, though.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I have a tetra 50 watt in a ONE gallon and it can barely heat the water above 74. It may be a little over 1 gallon, im not sure - its a long but not very tall storage container. Either way, that's pretty bad since 5o watts are for 10 gallon tanks

I find that using an adjustable 25 watt works well if you set the temp low and keep an eye on it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #7 
freemike

I personally have had good luck with the Tetra heaters. I keep them in my 5 gallon tanks and they keep the water at 76-78 with no problems. There is some fluctuation but with almost any small tank you are going to have that.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #8 
happypappy

marina heater prices

Wag.com has these heaters for $16 -- free shipping and you can get 20% off with first purchase. It is always good to shop for price --

Also the hydro is available on amazon.com for a reasonable price.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #9 
Silverfang

I've never used tetra, but I love the hydor.

Being in the same city, I understand your frustrations. I just bit the bullet and ordered nice 25W hydor from Big Als. Expensive, but it is quality, Scuzi is basking in 80 degree water. Actually it costs about as much for the Hydor Theo as the 10W marina.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #10 
betta4life

I have the small zoomed for bettatherm heater in my 1 1/2 gallon and it works really well, it keeps the water 76-80 degrees. One time i found the water almost to 90 but that was only because it was like 80 degrees outside and i had forgotten to unplug it. But other than that, it works really well. And it's not that expensive. Also, it does say that it keep's the water 5-10 degree's above the temp in the room he's in, that's why i had gotten it, because my room stays kinda cold, and i couldn't afford a really nice one, but needed one. Anyways good luck on finding one.

Last edited by betta4life; 05-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
betta4life is offline   Reply With Quote