Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

Unhappy I think it's ICK!!!!

I just looked at my new fish (I've had him just over a week), and it looks like he has ICK! I didn't seem anything on him this morning, and when I came home from work and looked at him, he was covered in little white spots!

I've never had a fish with this before, so I'm not quite sure what to do. I have aquarium salt and epsom salt. Should I start with those right away? I also have some BettaRevive, but I don't think that works on ick. It doesn't say anything about it on the packaging.

Here are some pics I just took...

newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 
newfiedragon

He's in a 1.7-2 gallon unfiltered and unheated tank. There is no aeration and no tank mates. I feed him 4 pellets at least 5 times a week, sometimes switching to frozen bloodworms. I add Nutrafin AquaPlus to his water when I do changes.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

You should find a way to heat his tank to at least 80 degrees and then start the AQ salt treatment.

Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
newfiedragon

Hopefully I'll be able to get a heater for him tomorrow night. Maybe some ick meds, too.

He still seems pretty active, and he ate well today.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Start the medication as soon as possible!
The longer you wait the more damage the parasite is doing to the fish. It effects the fish in ways that you cannot until it becomes too late.

Higher temperature and salt treatment, the ich will clear if it is treated early. Keep the medication going for a week after the fish looks clear and the cysts have dropped off.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 
newfiedragon

Unfortunately, I neither live nor work anywhere near a pet store, so I can't do anything other than start him on some salt until tomorrow night.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #7 
newfiedragon

Am I able to do both salt and meds together? And if I'm not, would starting with salt and then switching to meds only make things worse?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #8 
deso

I cured my boy of ick a few weeks back just with kosher salt and cranking the heat up to 86 fahrenheit by placing him right next to my flat's spaceheater (this may be a bad idea if you don't have an aquarium thermometer and aren't at home a lot to monitor his temperature). Please don't wait to find a pet store, just pop into your local grocery and get a pure salt that has no additives on the ingredients label.

edit: Forgot to add that you must make sure that the salt has no anti-clumping agents as well.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #9 
Foisair

I don't think getting salt is the issue. Sounds like the OP has both AQ and ES on hand.

I would start him on the AQ salt treatment if you haven't already. The quote from the sticky that ZackyBear quoted says not to exceed 14 days of AQ salt but I've also heard not to exceed 10 days. I'm not sure how long it should take to see improvement, hopefully someone with more experience can help with that. If there's no improvement or he get's worse in ten days, I'd switch to some stronger meds.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 
deso

Woops, my bad for not reading more carefully. I began to see improvements in my betta after three or four days, but then again, his case of ick wasn't quite as "advanced" as the betta in question.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote