Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 
Bmarie7

Unhappy Stress lines!

I bought a Betta about a year ago, her name is phoebe. She has been pretty hardy, she's the 3rd Betta I've taken care of. (I've had one other female and my sister had a male who both live almost two years.) I've been keeping Phoebe in my female betta's old bowl (I was ignorant when it was purchased but my old fish seemed very happy even tho it was a small 1/2 gallon bowl)
Today I switched phoebe to a gallon tank with new plants and gravel in it. I let it sit for a bit to let the water conditioner mix in and let the water settle the added her. She is very small and it seems that the tank is just WAYYYY too big for her. She is also showing stress lines very prominently, I have a towel around her tank to make her feel safe, and I've checked the water temp. Can't be anything wrong with the water because she hasn't had a problem yet.
Is being stressed normal? Should I switch her to her old bowl? How long should it take for her to finally feel safe in her new tank?
Bmarie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 
underdebate

First of all, good on you for getting a bigger bowl! In my experience, bettas who've spent large amounts of time in smaller spaces (and just in any one space in general, really!) tend to get stressed for a little while before they adjust. She's probably a little nervous-- ie, WHERE DID ALL THIS SPACE COME FROM AND WHAT DO I DO WITH IT-- and I know the same thing tends to happen when I bring home a new fish who's spent lots of time in a cup at the petstore.

Give her two or three days. I know she probably looks really small in that bowl, but trust me, it's DEFINITELY not too small for her, and she'll grow to love it-- she'll be happier, healthier and probably do a bit more swimming around for you, too.

ETA: If she seems really anxious, you can lay the towel over her tank to make it nice and dark and quiet for her, too.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #3 
Bmarie7

Smile

Thanks for responding so quickly! I'm just a little nervous I think. I recently lost a female Betta I had bought after I bought phoebe! And now I'm freaking over every little thing. I really love my Bettas I've had& currently have.

But I just checked on phoebe and she's dark purple(like normal) but she still looks a tad overwhelmed. I did put a towel around her and it helped (I've always put a towel around her to keep her shaded so I think she was comforted by the familiar sight)
Bmarie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 
underdebate

Not a problem! I'm sure she'll be perfectly fine. :)
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #5 
Rosso1011

If she has a lot of open space, try buying some silk plants and some sort of cave (for resting in). Having to much open space can make a betta uncomfortable. Good luck with your new girl.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote