Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 
EvilVOG

Thai bettas

I've been thinking about my next spawn, I definitely need to improve my form, and i'm thinking HMPK. I am also wanting to work with the piebald condition, sometimes called Koi, but also called fancy, marble and fantasy.

Like him: see how he has a colorless patch?

now my Shipping questions are:

1. I've read in other threads that it costs around 40-45 for shipping alone. Is that the cheapest it can be with relative safety?

2. is that the total cost, or am i sending 35 to Thailand, and another 10 to the transshipper?

3. Being in Detroit, Michigan what transshipper should i use? NY is probably closest to me, but the fish will be traveling further if it goes there as it would pass me and have to come back.

And a related breeding question so i only have one post going...

1 would my poor caudual HMPK tails blend with or be an either-or situation if i cross with a true HMPK or OHMPK?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

his caudal seems fine to me. and i think since your spawn was just mostly PKs i think there is gonna be little more this next spawn since the father of the spawn you already did was a HMPK (right?) and maybe, it might un-sharpen, dagger, or not reach full HM. that OHMPK has great dorsal, not sure about the anal am not a HUGE pro gonna have to ask mr.v :P so i could just be wrong
and also since your spawn has red in it, and red is a dominant gene, there might be lots of red in it
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

thanks, that boy is just a coloring example, I think i would need a pair of them to do what i want anyway. My spawn's dad is a HMPK, but his Caduals are not perfect so he doesn't really hit that show standard 180. Most of my boys got the same tail.

So yeah while it was related when i was writing that, it was un-related by the time i posted it... But still if i can't find a pair that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg, i will probably work with at least one of my currents. and want to get a more proper tail on them.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I don't like his caudal. It's too round for me. Also which show PK are you going for? Assymetrical HMPK or Symmetrical HMPK?

You pay $5 per betta to the seller to ship your betta. Also it's cheaper to fill the box with bettas than importing here and there. So I'd choose a few pairs to save on shipping. The $20+ is paid to the transhipper to ship your betta to you.

I would choose either Linda or Jen. Linda is more expensive but has a better packing method and is friendly if you call her.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

again that pic is just for showing the color i'm looking for, and is pretty irrelevant at this point. When i started writing that i was thinking thai fish + mine, but about 3/4 of the way through writing that i re-thought it realizing that if it is the piebald trait i would need a pair with that color since piebald is recessive.

That one's tail is funky, i did notice that.

I haven't really showed yet so i wasn't aware there were two categories. Basically the tail i want to have is where it's like half a circle. Sounds like what i think symmetrical means. My eyes suck but i think similar to your avatar.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

The male in my avatar is assymetrical. Your bettas are traditional show PKs. There's three classes; Traditional, Assymetrical, Symmetrical. All should have half circle shapes however assymmetrical and symmetrical should have straight edges.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 
EvilVOG

Thanks for the info so far. Basically the form i want is basically the shape i have, with an even, round tail. And of course any other show adjustments i have to make (my anals are a little long, right?).

p.s. i did join IBC a few days ago.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

If you want to maintain your line research the standard in the handbook on Traditional Show Plakats.

http://bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABPKTrilogy.htm
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #9 
EvilVOG

thanks for the link. it's hazy in some spots but gave me a better description of what i want, and a better insight into the differences.

So what i want essentially is traditional (like i have) but i would like to turn the tail into more of the "capital D" shape of the asymmetrical. Or is that not advisable?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

The D shape is more for assymetrical/symmetrical I think. Trads should have rounded edges I believe but still 180.