Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #1 
simplykayla76

Post New Betta Mom :)

Hi

First time Betta Mom here! I brought home a red male betta today :) Haven't given him a name yet...His little home is a 2 1/2 gallon rectangle aquarium. I need to add some more gravel and decorations. I have one small fake plant in there now. Going to walmart tomorrow to buy him a heater :) Hooded lights are so hard to find for his house ...so I was wondering can I just get a desk lamp to shine on him?

Looking forward to learning all I can to give him a good life :)
simplykayla76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 
Micho

You posted two threads, so I'll reply to this one. . .

Great job, 2.5g! That's what I have! Perfect home for a Betta, yes get him a heater, I have an Elite Submersible 25w heater, they're a trustworthy brand and very reliable, also get a thermometer also!

I suggest getting a lid if you haven't already done so, Bettas can jump out of their tanks, also you can use a desk light, I have an LED light that's clipped onto the tank. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #3 
simplykayla76

Cool! I thought I posted this already but couldn't find it...sorry. The aquarium came with a glass lid which doesn't allow oxygen in....so i set it on top where there is a part not covered by the lid.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 
Micho

To be honest oxygen is not an issue with Bettas, in the wild they live in oxygen deprived water, that's why they breathe with their labyrinth organ, so you should cover the lid but if you're worried just leave a small opening, not big enough for him to jump out!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #5 
BlueStar

Love your name. Kay is my middle name so since no one is named after me I named my rabbit Kayla :).
I probably have 2 of the same aquariums you do that come with the glass lid.
Locally the only place I can get a good deal on fish supplies is Wal-Mart and the pet shop doesn't carry much for them.

I do use the glass lid since Blue is a jumper especially when being fed. Since with the heater (which isn't running much in Texas now) collects a lot of water condensation on the glass lid I leave a crack at the back (1/2") and placed a handy wipe over the crack to keep dog/cat hair out. When I take the lid off I use a paper towel to wipe it off if it's wet. Helps keep the tanks warm in the winter.
In the craft section at Wally World (walmart) they have some Plastic Mesh Canvas (6pk) 10.5x13.5in for $2.97 (can get single sheets if I recall right) that I cut to size for a lid also that I use in the summer since I run the AC at 80*. I used a twisty tie to make a handle to easily lift it up that never comes in contact with the water.

As for the heaters I needed them in a hurry so I bought the Tetra submersible 2-15gal 50watt ones from WalMart and their floating/suction cup thermometer. I haven't had any problems with these heaters, but I use water that is about 78* when I do a change. If you use colder water (did in a container with plants only in it) the heater would cut off before it got to 78*. I later bought an Elite 50w for a 10 gallon I don't have yet, but the manufacturer said the top of it should not be submerged. I guess a 25w is a shorter heater, but I couldn't find one.

I never got around to searching for a light to fit the aquarium though. I bought a 13" florescent kitchen light that I sit in front of or on top of the glass lid, but since I had another floresent light hanging on a shelf above them I just use it when feeding or cleaning. They get enough light from the window on the other side of the room otherwise, plus I only have moss balls for plants and they are low light plants.

I use dark colored glass cups so they have a cave but haven't used any gravel in these tanks since it's easier to clean without it. Have some glass round/oval shape gems I got from the dollar store to use insead.

Another thing you might consider is a sponge filter for this tank. Although it is to small to keep a cycle going in it, it does give the good bacteria a home and you can keep what they call a mini-cycle going as long as you keep the sponge filter wet in old tank water when you do a 100% water change. I bought some Seachem Matrix Bio-Media..500ml to use as gravel since it gives these good bacteria a home to live in also and they help keep the ammonia/nitrates down. Later I will use some of it in a filter.

With 4 betta's I got tired of the constant large water changes fast, so I bought 3 of the 5 gallon glass rectangle tanks from walmart plus had a 10 gallon tank. Have one of the 5 gallons cycled and when the others filters get seeded in it I'll get those up and going. I bought some pet shop natural pea sized gravel for that tank since my pH is high and I heard color coded gravel can cause it to raise more. With the other tanks I bought some pea sized river gravel from a garden center to clean good and use in the tanks since with so many that's a lot cheaper which is a tip I got on this section. I'll still use my 2.5 gallon tanks as bare hospital tanks or for fry if and when I get some blue guppies for the 10 gallon tank.

I love these little tanks, but with our drought I hate using up that much water in changes all the time with 4 bettas. 5 gallon cycled only needs cleaned once a week unless the nitrates build up before the tank is fully seasoned (about 6 months). 2 are in the 2.5 gallon tanks and 2 in the 5 gallons (one not cycled yet I only keep 2.5 gallons in the tank). Enjoy! Betta's are really neat.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! It sounds like you are on a great start with your little boy. Be sure to get an adjustable heater as the preset ones don't always keep the temp where you want it. Also snag a thermometer while you are there. The glass ones (as opposed to the strip ones) are the best. Thermometers are the only way to tell the temp of a tank. When you look for fake plants, try to get as many silk ones as you can because plastic plants are known to cause fin-tearing issues. Male betta also like caves, so if you see something that would make a great cave I'm sure he'd love it.

For lights, a desk lamp is fine, but betta don't actually need lights. The reason we have lights on our tanks is so we can see our fish better. I know that exact same aquarium because I had one a while ago. Using the top is a good idea. Betta don't use up as much oxygen as you would think and the few times you open the lid a day will be enough to replenish the oxygen. Plus it will help keep his tank warmer.

In that small of a space, I don't think a filter is going to do you any good. Betta come from waters that are almost completely still. Any current can cause swimming issues for some betta especially the ones with long fins. Filters are only necessary when your tank is larger than 5 gallons. You can clean the tank by doing 2 water changes weekly. One 50% and one 100%. You will have to remove your betta during the 100% water change.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #7 
simplykayla76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
Love your name. Kay is my middle name so since no one is named after me I named my rabbit Kayla :).
I probably have 2 of the same aquariums you do that come with the glass lid.
Locally the only place I can get a good deal on fish supplies is Wal-Mart and the pet shop doesn't carry much for them.

I do use the glass lid since Blue is a jumper especially when being fed. Since with the heater (which isn't running much in Texas now) collects a lot of water condensation on the glass lid I leave a crack at the back (1/2") and placed a handy wipe over the crack to keep dog/cat hair out. When I take the lid off I use a paper towel to wipe it off if it's wet. Helps keep the tanks warm in the winter.
In the craft section at Wally World (walmart) they have some Plastic Mesh Canvas (6pk) 10.5x13.5in for $2.97 (can get single sheets if I recall right) that I cut to size for a lid also that I use in the summer since I run the AC at 80*. I used a twisty tie to make a handle to easily lift it up that never comes in contact with the water.

As for the heaters I needed them in a hurry so I bought the Tetra submersible 2-15gal 50watt ones from WalMart and their floating/suction cup thermometer. I haven't had any problems with these heaters, but I use water that is about 78* when I do a change. If you use colder water (did in a container with plants only in it) the heater would cut off before it got to 78*. I later bought an Elite 50w for a 10 gallon I don't have yet, but the manufacturer said the top of it should not be submerged. I guess a 25w is a shorter heater, but I couldn't find one.

I never got around to searching for a light to fit the aquarium though. I bought a 13" florescent kitchen light that I sit in front of or on top of the glass lid, but since I had another floresent light hanging on a shelf above them I just use it when feeding or cleaning. They get enough light from the window on the other side of the room otherwise, plus I only have moss balls for plants and they are low light plants.

I use dark colored glass cups so they have a cave but haven't used any gravel in these tanks since it's easier to clean without it. Have some glass round/oval shape gems I got from the dollar store to use insead.

Another thing you might consider is a sponge filter for this tank. Although it is to small to keep a cycle going in it, it does give the good bacteria a home and you can keep what they call a mini-cycle going as long as you keep the sponge filter wet in old tank water when you do a 100% water change. I bought some Seachem Matrix Bio-Media..500ml to use as gravel since it gives these good bacteria a home to live in also and they help keep the ammonia/nitrates down. Later I will use some of it in a filter.

With 4 betta's I got tired of the constant large water changes fast, so I bought 3 of the 5 gallon glass rectangle tanks from walmart plus had a 10 gallon tank. Have one of the 5 gallons cycled and when the others filters get seeded in it I'll get those up and going. I bought some pet shop natural pea sized gravel for that tank since my pH is high and I heard color coded gravel can cause it to raise more. With the other tanks I bought some pea sized river gravel from a garden center to clean good and use in the tanks since with so many that's a lot cheaper which is a tip I got on this section. I'll still use my 2.5 gallon tanks as bare hospital tanks or for fry if and when I get some blue guppies for the 10 gallon tank.

I love these little tanks, but with our drought I hate using up that much water in changes all the time with 4 bettas. 5 gallon cycled only needs cleaned once a week unless the nitrates build up before the tank is fully seasoned (about 6 months). 2 are in the 2.5 gallon tanks and 2 in the 5 gallons (one not cycled yet I only keep 2.5 gallons in the tank). Enjoy! Betta's are really neat.
Thank You for all the info :D Nice to know I share a rabbit's name :P Going to walmart today ...so my new baby will be happier before the day is over :)

Last edited by simplykayla76; 05-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #8 
simplykayla76

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! It sounds like you are on a great start with your little boy. Be sure to get an adjustable heater as the preset ones don't always keep the temp where you want it. Also snag a thermometer while you are there. The glass ones (as opposed to the strip ones) are the best. Thermometers are the only way to tell the temp of a tank. When you look for fake plants, try to get as many silk ones as you can because plastic plants are known to cause fin-tearing issues. Male betta also like caves, so if you see something that would make a great cave I'm sure he'd love it.

For lights, a desk lamp is fine, but betta don't actually need lights. The reason we have lights on our tanks is so we can see our fish better. I know that exact same aquarium because I had one a while ago. Using the top is a good idea. Betta don't use up as much oxygen as you would think and the few times you open the lid a day will be enough to replenish the oxygen. Plus it will help keep his tank warmer.

In that small of a space, I don't think a filter is going to do you any good. Betta come from waters that are almost completely still. Any current can cause swimming issues for some betta especially the ones with long fins. Filters are only necessary when your tank is larger than 5 gallons. You can clean the tank by doing 2 water changes weekly. One 50% and one 100%. You will have to remove your betta during the 100% water change.
Thank You :) I was considering not getting a filter...and just changing the water twice a week :)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplykayla76 View Post
Thank You :) I was considering not getting a filter...and just changing the water twice a week :)
That sounds like a great plan to me. On my tanks under 5 gallons I don't use filters. I just change the water twice a week and everyone is happy, healthy, and hungry!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 
simplykayla76

BluStar - i bought the heater you mentioned. How do you know its on?