Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I rehome him? (Aggression)

846 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  freemike 
#1 ·
I have 6 Albino Cory and 1 CT male in a tank. He usually cruises the top water levels and ignores the Cory just like my other Betta. He was in a corner with two of them when I went to check on the tank before bed time tonight. He actually charged one of them and bit him on the side. He didn't draw blood and the Cory seems no worse for it. He did the same thing not 30 seconds to the next one. Again no physical damage and the Cory just scuttled to the other side of the tank. I'm just wondering if I should rehome him to another tank or see if things smooth out between him and the Cory. Just another note is that none of the Cories seem to be damaged or overly stressed they all swim and graze the bottom of the tank and even swim through the middle of the water column in a school occasionally during the day.

#2 ·
Haha! Another night owl!!

In your case, I think he might benefit from a re-introduction especially if he was in the tank before the cories. Take him out, move around some of the decor (maybe add some new stuff), and then reintroduce him to the tank. With the cories already in there he will see them not as invaders but as current residents. This method is used in sororities when the girls get too nippy, one dies, or another is being introduced.

#3 ·
What size is the tank? And are there any hiding places for the cories?
Have to agree, try taking out the betta and rearrange the decorations then reintroduce. If it doesn't help then you may have to keep him in his own tank.
Some bettas are just too aggressive to have tank mates.. have to keep in mind that these fish prefer to live alone.

#4 ·
Rearranging the tank or taking him out for a while could do some good, but on the point of the cories, they have barbels, with stings in them, so if he did get too aggressive they could easily sting him, that may jerk him back into the idea that they are here to stay but is also about as painful as a bee sting to a human, so maybe try taking him out before it gets that far!

#7 ·
Well I continued watching them closely and made sure it wasn't escalating. I haven't seen any aggression outside of those two incidents other than some tail tagging. He is a younger male and I did add him to the tank after the Albino's. I think he was just establishing himself in the tank and now they will even rest in the same cave with each other with no fuss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.