Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
zumivara

Filter too strong?

I recently had a betta died of dropsy. It was kind of traumatic for me watching him die.

Yesterday, I went out and bought a new male betta with beautiful colors (at least for my taste). Anyway, I decided I wouldn't let him get sick. I am only feeding him 1-2 pellets daily, used a conditioner for the (tap) water and bought a filter. I am planning on buying a heater too.

Problem is, I think the filter is too strong! It's a 2 gallon tank and when the filter is on all the decorations and even the water shake. I turned it off. It's one of those disposable, carbon filters that I'm supposed to change every 3-4 weeks.

Is there a quieter filter I can buy?

I have another questions, is it ok to put a male betta and a female betta together? I want to get him a companion.

So far, he is swimming around and getting to know his new surroundings. It's a change for him. My other betta spent weeks in the bottom of the tank, struggling to swim and move up to get some air.
zumivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 
Micho

I wouldn't use a filter for a 2g, you don't really need it. An unfiltered 2g water changes will be roughly the same amount as a filtered 2g. Not much of a difference.

I highly suggest you buy at heater ASAP. Bettas are tropical fish, 76F ~ 82F is the temperature range they like.

Also, NO. Female Betta + male Betta = both of them dead or one of them dead and one badly beaten up.

2g cannot house anything else but a male Betta.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 
zumivara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
I wouldn't use a filter for a 2g, you don't really need it. An unfiltered 2g water changes will be roughly the same amount as a filtered 2g. Not much of a difference.

I highly suggest you buy at heater ASAP. Bettas are tropical fish, 76F ~ 82F is the temperature range they like.

Also, NO. Female Betta + male Betta = both of them dead or one of them dead and one badly beaten up.

2g cannot house anything else but a male Betta.
Hi! Thanks for your advice!

I live in Puerto Rico where the weather is very tropical as is. That's why I haven't been in a hurry to buy the heater. I will buy it soon anyway because sometimes, when it rains or when there's a cold front the weather can get a little chilly. Of course that would make you laugh if you live in a cold state.

I will forget about the filter then. I do admit that making 50% water changes every other day will be a little hard for me. Maybe, once a week would be okay?

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Hello! Sorry your last betta had dropsy :(. Anyway what kind of filter is it? depending on what type of filter, you probably want to get a bigger tank. Not only will it give him more swimming room, but you won't have to do as many water changes. I suggest a 3-5 gallon. You can get an acrylic one for pretty cheap.

Don't put another betta in with him. He will be just as happy, if not happier, all by himself :)

Oh! and make sure you get a small heater asap. Even if it's warm where you are, a heater will keep his water temperature more stable.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #5 
Micho

To be honest a 50% water change every other day is a bit too much, one 50% water change and one 100% water change per week will do you just fine.

Just spread the water changes three days apart. Just make sure you don't overfeed, just put one pellet at a time and make sure he eats it, if he doesn't just removed the uneaten food.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

2 gals really dont need filters, but aquaon makes good small ones if u want :D i liek them
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #7 
zumivara

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Hello! Sorry your last betta had dropsy :(. Anyway what kind of filter is it? depending on what type of filter, you probably want to get a bigger tank. Not only will it give him more swimming room, but you won't have to do as many water changes. I suggest a 3-5 gallon. You can get an acrylic one for pretty cheap.

Don't put another betta in with him. He will be just as happy, if not happier, all by himself :)

Oh! and make sure you get a small heater asap. Even if it's warm where you are, a heater will keep his water temperature more stable.
That's it! I will buy a bigger tank! Thank you!

And yes, I will buy the heater too. And no companion.

Thanks again!

Last edited by zumivara; 05-02-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 
SweetNightmare

Sponge filters can be very small and don't cause powerful currents. Agreed on keeping him alone, though if you want to you can put a few small cherry or ghost shrimp with him, or maybe a snail(only one, they breed like mad!). The shrimp may end up a snack, but if not they'll pick uneaten food and other things off the bottom of the tank.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 
gbose

There's a Tetra Whisper filter designed to 1-2G tanks. It doesn't cause much current at all.

I'd use a filter if I can.

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote