Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 
Sly13Cat

Smile My New Beautiful Halfmoon (Couldn't Resist)...

I went to Big Al's today and looked at the Betta section (not intending to buy one) and I saw one I couldn't stop looking at. I don't like spending money but it was amazing and I'm buying it (I have it reserved so I have to). I'm buying him tomorrow and they'll take my 4 Mollies and I'll use that money to buy him. Then I'll divide the 10gal 2 ways for my 2 Bettas. I dissolved a Ich Tablet in my 10 gal just in case because I think my Betta might have Ich and I don't want the mollies to pass it on to the store fish. But this Betta will be in 1gal quarantine for a week anyways so the other tank can cure and he can show if he has anything. Here's a picture:

What kind of Betta is he? Is he a Mustard Gas? Is the a special kind of Betta? Does he seem good for breeding? What should I name him?
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

that's right I gotta get to Big Al's sometime...

Butterfly if I am not correct? If you get him to flare when you get him home, we can see finnage better.

What are you intending to breed for? form? color? I lack color choice but I have good form choice for mine - so I'm working on form mainly. If you want form, and want to keep HM or line breed, definitely avoid VT as VT is always dominant. Get a few females to condition, choose finnage VS color first.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
bettanova2

Hi, your betta is so beautiful and attractive..I have one similar to yours, I also think he is a blue butterfly halfmoon <3 but some people might call him a salamander halfmoon..
bettanova2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 
CrazyForBettas

What a gorgeous boy! He looks like a butterfly halfmoon (: I can't give you advice on breeding, unfortunately.
CrazyForBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 
Sly13Cat

Well I'm not sure if breeding him would be good and if I have all the supplies. They sell brine shrimp there though. Would 2 10gals be enough for the spawn. I think I'd remove the female before all the eggs are gone because I can't handle too much fry but I don't want too little so I think I'd stop them at 50 eggs. They probably don't know but I hope they can tell me if he breeds true or not. I'd like to breed for color and form. So maybe I'll start simple with a butterfly Male and Female (I think he's a butterfly). I had better pics but my phone didn't save them for some reason. I'll get some tomorrow when I bring him home. I'm sure he'll love 5gals to himself. But if I want to breed him I have to act quick. I'll buy some cheap live brine shrimp tomorrow at Big Al's and see if I can get a colony going. I'll have to buy a female too.

Last edited by Sly13Cat; 05-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I never suggest removing her prematurely. Let them do their thing, cull later. Let's say you end up with 250 fry (random number)... 150 survive, and 100 need to be culled because of either 1. imperfections 2. illness 3. deformities. That is the best way to do it. I feed deformed fry to other fish.

So if you only had 50, 25 die, all but a few need to be culled... I like a larger number, because of that. survival rate = better.
10 gallon for spawning, you need a tank for her to heal, and a tank for him to be removed to. Then when fry are older you can divide them between 2 tanks, then jar the aggressive ones/males

Try to find a female who is white, light blue, or even cellophone :) cellophone helps with the color to be like his and butterfly is dominant. You will always get a "what the heck" colored fry(or more than one)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

I would say his form isnt too bad, his anal isnt too long, the butterfly markings could be better but that can be worked on, I would say if there is one thing I would pic at it is his spine shape, the line isn't quite clean enough for my liking, but again that can be worked on!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 
Sly13Cat

So how do you suggest I can "work on" these things. You seem to have a good understanding in breeding Bettas.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 
betta4life

I don't know anything about breeding, would like to try it one day. But just wanted to say that you have a beautiful betta :) Wish the places around here had better looking ones :/ lol
betta4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #10 
BeckyFish97

The best thing to do is pick a female that counteracts the males traits very slightly, for example, a female with a better body line and a cleaner butterfly line, because there are a few bits that go slightly further than the true butterfly line on your boy's anal fin!And I'm no expert, I just do way too much reasearch
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote