Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
simplykayla76

Thumbs down Filter let down~

I have a 2 1/2 gallon rectangle glass aquarium for my Betta. I bought a heater, gravel, a thermometer and decor. Well I did a 50% pwc and noticed after a few hours the top of the water had a film when I went to feed him. I wasn't planning on getting a filter and just doing 2 pwc's a week. Well I went ahead and bought a Marina internal filter for his aquarium. Boooooo.... The clip wouldn't stay attached to the filter box and the clip that was suppose to hang on the edge of the aquarium kept coming apart and the filter would fall in the water. And on top of all that it took up alot of room! I am returning it tomorrow. I never did like internal filters anyhow. So does anyone know of a HOB filter I can use?
simplykayla76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

I get the film in all my tanks. Its annoying but harmless. its caused by feeding high protein foods.

There is this one for tanks up to 3 gallons
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Un...6105643&sr=1-5

There is also the Tetra 3i filter for up to 3 gallons

all the power filters I see are for 10 gallons and up
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #3 
FishyFishy89

I used this filter when I was using a 2.5 gallon
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter.../dp/B00176GKM8
the switch was a bit hard to push completely over, but once there the flow was PERFECT.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #4 
kfryman

For my shrimp tank, I have a 10 gallon filter, over kill but it is really nice. It is the Marina Slim 10, has adjustable flow, so you can either have it so strong your betta will be thrown around or have it so soft you can't even see water current, but there is. Also it has a prefilter sponge on the outside. The one thing that is good and bad is the motor is in the water, you don't here it, but I don't know if your betta will get irritated from buzzing, if there is any that is.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
For my shrimp tank, I have a 10 gallon filter, over kill but it is really nice. It is the Marina Slim 10, has adjustable flow, so you can either have it so strong your betta will be thrown around or have it so soft you can't even see water current, but there is. Also it has a prefilter sponge on the outside. The one thing that is good and bad is the motor is in the water, you don't here it, but I don't know if your betta will get irritated from buzzing, if there is any that is.
this would be an interesting filter to see in person.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #6 
kfryman

It looks really big on the 2.5, when I ordered it I didn't see it was for 10 gallons, so Yeh it I big for a 2.5 gallon but that will enable it to be properly cycled, though water changs should still be two 50%s. I think there are videos on YouTube forbthe ulterior so you can check that out if you want.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #7 
freemike

In a tank that small you should really be doing one 100% water change and 50% water change in a one week period. When I had smaller tanks I was doing 100% on Sundays and a 50% on Wednesday or Thursday. I wouldn't bother with the filter to be honest in a tank that small. Just out of curiosity how much and what food are you feeding?

The thing with just doing partial water changes in a tank that isn't cycled is that you never get rid of the ammonia. Lets say in a 1 week period your fish produces enough ammonia to make your water read 2.0PPM. (Which he most likely won't but it makes the math and concept easier to follow.) You do a 50% change; you would still have 1.0PPM ammonia in the tank. So after another week goes by you are up 3.0PPM. Then when you do your change your water you are back down to only 1.5PPM. So as time goes by the ammonia just keeps building up. Now practically it won't happen as fast this example because of the inflated numbers, but nonetheless the principal still applies that the ammonia will continue to build up.

Last edited by freemike; 05-04-2012 at 01:32 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #8 
simplykayla76

Betta pellets. 2 a day.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

You could feed 4 pellets a day...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #10 
simplykayla76

Color Enchancer?

Do you know if the color enhancer pellets really work?