Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Since I use a more natural method of spawning.....I feed before, during and after spawning-but I am also feeding live food-mainly mosquito larva...

Same with my lights-I stay on my 12h/day PP-lights off even with eggs/fry.....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #12 
tpocicat

Good luck, I feed my male until he is taking care of a nest full of eggs. From my experience, he won't eat until the fry are free swimming.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #13 
bettaboytroy

The 1st date

I put the female in a cylindrical vase and put her in the breeding tank. I plan to keep her there for a couple hours or so. The male is flaring and showing off and she has gone to vertical striping. After only about 10-15 minutes he is already starting to spend time under the foam cup. I think bubbles will come shortley as he is spending his time between her, the cup, and gulping air.

I think I've decided to continue to feed them both live food until they are actually together. Hoping to get them together possibly this Friday late afternoon. looking to introduce her a few times with the vase and hopefully get a nest started before she is let go.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #14 
bettaboytroy

The 2nd date

After removing the female for a few hours I thought I'd let them see each other once more before bedtime. Both fish seem really excited and showing interest. Immediately the male tried to lead her to his cup and started blowing bubbles. Seems like he was trying to tell her "It's over here! come and see!". Then he quickly started on the nest like he wasn't sure how long it would be before she "decided to leave" again.

I like the reactions I'm getting from both fish and I like the look of the water. The Almond leaf extract has turned the water a light tea color.

I read somewhere (most likely here) that someone seemed to do well breeding when it rained. Don't know if this is coincidence or not but barometric pressure does seem to effect lake fish. Anyway here in my neck of the woods we are getting our first humid weather of the year. it has been a wet start to the month with thunderstorms randomly coming through. Not sure if it will help or not but I'll take anything I can get.

As I finish typing it's more of the same a quick trip to the female, a flare, and a race back to the cup to blow bubbles.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #15 
bettaboytroy

Final date

After feeding the fish I have put the female/vase one last time with the male. I will be letting her go in an hour or so. Both fish still are showing lots of interest. A light thundershower outside is setting the mood.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #16 
bettaboytroy

The waiting begins

Female was released about 1 1/2 hrs ago. There's been some chasing by the male. He is actually quite docile towards her. She can hide from him quite easily because of heavy cover. There is a small nest. It's about the size of a teaspoon. My last couple attempts at breeding I had introduced the fish on Friday and had eggs Sunday morning. Hoping for the nest size to increase tomorrow and for the female to become more interested in the males nest building.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #17 
EvilVOG

my male would mostly ignore pellet food, but i had Daphnia that was just living in there wild and i think he was snacking on that at some point because he got quite fat very suddenly while tending eggs (i initially thought he was eating eggs).
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #18 
bettaboytroy

Small healthy nest and a few pictures

Another picture of Jay

Here's Prudence when she was still enclosed in the vase. Notice the "tiger striping"

Jay again flaring (The white blur is his dumbo ear pectoral fin)

Jay at home under his nest.

Top view of the styrofoam cup showing the "spillage" of the nest to the outside of the cup. Hoping it doubles in size sometimes tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #19 
bettaboytroy

Promising behavior

Well, I saw one unsuccessful embrace about 15 minutes ago. The nest has at least doubled in size during the last 24 hours. Female is starting to show much more submissive behavior. Jay spends most of his time on the nest with a few breaks to go check up on her. He knows she's spending most of her time in a ceramic vase and goes to peak in on her from time to time. He seems to be the most docile male I've ever attempted to breed rarely chasing her but definately showing interest. She's starting to seem more and more interested in what he is doing also.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #20 
bettaboytroy

More embraces

Embracing with more regularity now. I have yet to see eggs released though. Seems as if they get distracted when I try to watch or take pictures. Hoping there will be eggs by tomorrow morning.