Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #21 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboytroy View Post
The Betta Shop in St.Paul, MN
Ok random browsing of threads lead me here...I'm honestly upset with myself. I am from st. Paul and only in South Dakota for school and I've never heard of this place. I even live within a few miles of there. How have I never heard of this place!? I'm totally kicking myself in the pants at the moment. Guess what I'm doing the next time I go home?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #22 
lvandert

And now that I've read the rest of the log, Good luck!!! I'm hoping for babies for you
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #23 
bettaboytroy

This is in reference to thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=100351 . Hope it's OK I started a new thread to ask a question.
About 4:30 PM last night my fish started to embrace. They did it many times with no eggs being dropped. They were good solid embraces. i figured by morning I would have a nest full of eggs. This morning nothing. Came home from work this evening and still nothing. The female still looks full of eggs. She looks really tired and he acts frustrated. The only positive is the nest itself is bigger. Any idea why she will not drop eggs?
Should i give it another 24 hours? Should I break down the tank and start over with 2 new fish? Should I take her out and introduce a new female? They are still embracing i just saw it as I'm typing this. When I first tried my hand at breeding my first 2 attempts yielded a ton of eggs/babies. I learned a lot but lost most of those fry in the learning process. Now I have much more knowledge and confidence but i just can't seem to get anything to work the last several times. It's really hard to put so much effort into getting everthing ready then to have to tear it all back down and wait another couple months to try again. I'm following all the rules and then some. This fremale has laid eggs before only to have the male eat them all (different male). Is it possible she does not produce fertile eggs? lots of questions. Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. My previous successful attempts were done using the shock method where I just introduced both fish at the same time. Anyone think this might be a better method or did i just have beginners luck?

P.S. I'm pasteing this post in my other thread so i can keep track of my own log better.

Thanks guys.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #24 
lvandert

it is possible she doesn't produce fertile eggs but that shouldn't stop her from laying them. Maybe put her back in the hurricane or breeder cage in the tank and start feeding her live foods every 4-6 hours. Also have you tried an artificial rain? It's where you stimulate rain with room-temp, treated water. I've found the best way to do it is just to put a slit in a small air hose, block one end, and then siphon the water through the hose.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #25 
bettaboytroy

Another 24 hours has past. Fish are still embracing (at least 48 hours worth). Still not seeing eggs drop. Quite confident there are no eggs in the nest. Since yesterday the nest has drastically fell apart. It is only half the size it was. Fish have been together for 4 days now. Maybe try it for another 24 hours and then if nothing tear it down and try again with a new pair? Thoughts? I can be patient I just don't want the fish to become over stressed. How long can they go with out eating? I've heard a week but that starts to scare me a little.

My backup female is not quite full grown. She is about 1 1/2 inches from nose to tip of tail. She is a double tail. Her belly seems big and she is showing an egg spot. I think she is big enough. Anyone think she is too small yet? Generally do younger fish or older fish make better breeders?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #26 
bettaboytroy

As of last night I removed the female. Still has not dropped any eggs that I know of.The nest was all but gone. The male will remain in the tank for a little while longer. I hope to be trying again with a new pair soon. I have a female picked out. I just have to decide between 2 males.