Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 
Bettafanatic647

Chronic Finrot

I have a Halfmoon betta that I have owned for 8 months. I bought him from petco im absolutley horrible condition. I was supposed to be buying him for my niece to go with the tank I had gotten her for her birthday, but I fell in love with the little guy and couldn't give him up. Anyways 8 months later we are battling finrot for the 12th time. I have treated him with aquarium salt, Melafix, water changes, and numerous other meds. I hate to use any meds on him, especially since he had such a bad reaction to Melafix last time, even at 1/5 dose. Are there any natural alternatives? I'd love to just do water changes but its not an option right now because of the amount of time I spend at the barn. I try to keep his parameters under 30 nitrates, but its hard since I have 20 nitrates in the tap. I would be extremely greatful if anyone has any ideas!
Bettafanatic647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more information and a Pic of the areas in question....if you can't post a clear pic-describe what you are seeing...

What size tank, filter, live plants, additive used, water temp, how much and how often are the water changes, appetite, any tank mates....

Any other signs/symptom or is it just tattered crusty fins.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

If it is a small tank (under 3 gallons) you need to do more water changes. For fin rot bettas I tend to do a daily water change and a full 100% water change once or twice a week on top of that, because that really is the best cure...

If you can, get a bigger tank - or even use a tub. I use wash basins and storage tubs, and that helps with ammonia levels if only because of space. :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

I think in your situation water changes is the best since you already treated him with medications. He needs break from medications. Also i don't recommend Melafix. Good medications that I would recommend are Tetracycline API mix together with Fungus Eliminator by Jungle. Someone on the forum recommended it to me and it works grate. But in your situation i think water changes is the best unless he will get lethargic, stop eating, has white fuzzy cottony patches.

Is he eating and active?

My tail bitter heals very fast with 100% water changes.

Also you wrote that you treated him with aquarium salt.
What dose did you use? As i learned from Oldfishlady it should be right dosage and right duration. So if you don't use right dose it might not help.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

and now that he's pumped full of meds it may not be safe to keep medicating..
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 
Bettafanatic647

Soooo sorry for the late reply! I've been super busy! His tank is a 10g, Prime Water Conditioner, shares his tank with an endler, 1 weekly water changes, 25%, and an endless appetite. I have been gone all day the past three days and have only been able to toss food into the tanks, so tonight I looked him over and he looks terrible. He seems lethargic, his fins are MUCH worse, and he has spots on his fins. He had the same thing 4 cases of fin rot ago when I went the straight water change route, but the red spots were on his body, in 5 days they dissapeared. I havent had any problems with any of my other tanks (knock on wood), its always this poor guy. I think he might have a SB issue going on, I'll give him some peas then fast him. I also got some pics, I'll post them in a second. I'm on AquariumAdvice and have posted a couple threads about him on there and the only thing they've ever recommended was Melafix at 1/5 dose.

Last edited by Bettafanatic647; 05-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 
Bettafanatic647

The edges of his caudal fin are black, you can kind of see it here.

Areas that are worrying me.

Last edited by Bettafanatic647; 05-07-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

No visible swim bladder problem, the tail to me looks chewed - which can be the endler or him
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
No visible swim bladder problem, the tail to me looks chewed - which can be the endler or him
Hmmm...could be, but I'd say it's an infection if it is getting progressively worse. Whether or not chewing was the start of it all is a totally different story though. How long has the endler been in the tank and have you ever seen any nipping? How about your betta himself- ever nipped his own tail?

I did quite a few rescues a while ago and the only thing that really worked for advanced fin rot for me was Fungus Clear by Jungle Labs (it also does bacteria, don't let the name fool you). The Fungus Eliminator is very similar and probably works just as well although I haven't tried that one. All of the bettas I used it with responded very well and didn't seem stressed while being treated. How long has it been since you last medicated, and with what? I'd do daily water changes while you wait the recommended time period (unless it gets really bad, then I'd medicate sooner), then try one of the Jungle products. No aquarium salt while medicating, and make sure the tank is clear of all other meds- the water changes will help with that as well as using carbon in the filter if you have a HOB.

I'm also wondering about the bump on his head...has it always been there? I'm not sure what would cause it, but it may be something you may want to check into...
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

The bump on the head could be a tumor, or a deformity - I've seen "hunch back" bettas