Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #21 
Bettafanatic647

I try not to let it get over 0 Amm, 0 Nitrite, and 30 Nitrate but its hard with 20 Nitrates out if the tap. These readings are from my API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Tank is currently empty so cant tell you what the readings were lol. I have a RO system but I wasnt sure what steps to take to make the water aquarium safe.
Bettafanatic647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

I know Mr V and a couple others know more about the RO system... I've had a betta who had been in such a bad condition for such a long time (between 3-6 months in a rarely cleaned 29 gallon with a pleco and a few guppies...dead bodies in the gravel!), when i got him I never noticed how bad the rot was because he was a dark red... It turned out he was a vibrant red and the darkness was rot - the fins fell off in pieces, fuzz set in, and we battled that rot!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #23 
Bettafanatic647

Refilled the tank, added the fish, desolved a fizzy tablets, and dumped half of the 2 cups of fizzy tablet water into the tank. Fingers crossed it works!! So should I fallow the instructions and do a 25% wc 4 days after adding the tablet and redose?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Yes - since it is a 10 gallon right? 25%, then re-add the meds.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #25 
Kim

Yeah, it's really important to do the complete treatment because often bacteria/fungus can persist beyond physical signs being apparent. Also, if it is a bacterial infection, failing to complete the full treatment can lead to antibiotic resistance, which is a pretty bad situation.

I'm hoping the Fungus Clear works as well for you as it has for me. Like I said I've had a lot of good luck with it :) Keep us posted.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #26 
Bettafanatic647

George wasnt doing very well this morning, and I was away all day. I got home and checked on him, and found that unfortunately I lost him. He's been through so much. Planning on burying him out in the garden tomorrow. He was the only fish I've ever gotten teary eyed about losing. Thank you all SO much for your help, I really couldn't have even attempted to cure him without all of your assistance. I think his death had something to do with the funky swimming I had posted abou earlier and even possibly that lump on his head. R.I.P Georgie boy </3
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #27 
Kim

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss Bettafanatic647 . I agree, there could have been a multitude of things wrong with the poor guy. At least you did all you could for him and gave him a great home to live out the rest of his days. Sometimes that is all we can really do...but of course it's hard loosing a pet no matter what.

Rest in peace little guy.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

www so sorry to hear he passed, but you did a wonderful job for and with him!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #29 
BETTACHKALOVE

So sorry like Sena wrote you did wonderful job :( Unfortunately it happens. Make sure you disinfect the tank if you will have another betta in there.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote