Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #1 
Leighla

Male Betta and Molly tank mates?

Some people say yes, some say no. All depends on your betta's personality? I have 3 male betta's, in separate tanks of course, and I have 2 balloon/bloated molly's. Can these molly's go in with a betta in a 14 gallon tank?
Leighla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

It's not advised because molly's do better in brackish water (slightly salty) They live longer in brackish and with conditioning they can even be switched over to total salt water! Molly's are incredible. They can also be agressive although I don't think balloon Molly's have the shape to do anyone harm. I wouldn't do it for the sake of the Molly's though. Also I would get at least 2-4 more with a 1:2 male female ratio. In my molly tank I have one male and all the rest are girls so he is in HEAVEN! The more females the less your males will be agressive.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #3 
Leighla

how do you tell the diff between the female and male mollys
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 
Micho

See the thing with Mollies is that you don't know if they prefer brackish water or freshwater in general. And Bettas are freshwater fish, so they cannot tolerate salt at all, long exposures to salt will cause damage to their internal organs.

So, how about you just a tank just for the mollies? And make it a brackish water tank. :)

Also the tell the difference between female and male Balloon Mollies is that the males will have patterns and have prettier fins than females, it's recommended for every 1 male molly you get 2 females, because if there's more males than females, things get pretty aggressive between the males.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #5 
NoahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Also the tell the difference between female and male Balloon Mollies is that the males will have patterns and have prettier fins than females
Not...necessarily. I've seen males with unimpressive fins and coloring, and plenty of females have patterns and at least decent color (as well as impressive fins if they have long fins). Here's the surefire way to tell the difference between male and female Mollies and Platies (as well as, technically, guppies if you have young ones and are having difficulties telling by their fins):

NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Here's a quote I found online.

You will be able to tell by the anal fin. This is a fin that is located in between the stomach and tail. If the fin points straight out it is a male, if its a 'fan' shape its a female. And also males do tend to be a little bigger than females too but the best way to tell is by the fin.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 
Leighla

Thanks ya'll. I believe I have a male and a female according to your pictures and descriptions, he follows her around everywhere, may just have to get me another female!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

They are great fish. Fun to watch and I have even heard of them getting up to 6 inches in the right conditions!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #9 
Sly13Cat

I have my Betta with Dalmatian Mollies. After 2 weeks of nipping and chasing, they got along fine. But after rearranging the tank, the aggressiveness started all over again.
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #10 
MollyJean

I wouldn't risk it, but I'm nerotic. Mollies can be quite nippy. A Molly will want a couple hiding places, but need a large open area to move around, while betta like hiding places and lots of leaves, plants, nooks and crannys. If you really want to try it, just be sure you can keep a very close eye on them. Give the betta lots of hiding places on the edges of the tank and around the back. Give him places to hide near the surface, but leave the center front of the tank open for the mollys. It'll be easier to keep them from picking on each other if you give them their own spaces.

Oh, and mollies breed like bunnies! If you have a male and a female, expect baby molly fish every 30 days or so.. If you really don't want to keep them, the betta will eat them :/
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, molly, tank mate