Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #1 
sunlight

feeding problems

I bought my 4th betta. I have him in 2 gall tank.
I usually change my 2 gall tanks 100% every 5 days . The water is clean i don't have food on the bottom of tanks and i have plants.

Now my new betta i have a problem. I have him for 4 weeks . He wants to eat only flakes, blood worms, spiraling brine shrimp. He refuses to eat pellets. It funny he even flares at tham. He swims around them and flare. It funny and cute but i have a problem. The food that he likes is all over on surface, on the bottom ...even if i take it out with spoon. And i have to change his water every 2 days. Don't know what to do.

I tryed to fast him for 2 days he still refused. Is there a chance that he will start eating them?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

You should keep trying. I used to have a betta named bug who refused to eat pellets, and only ate bloodworms!!

It took me 4 days to get him to finally eat the pellets x.x
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 
Myates

Continue to fast him to get him to try the pellets. What brand of pellets are you offering? Some pellets are not favored by bettas.. all of my picky eaters have devoured Omega One pellets when I first offered. So the higher quality pellets tend to have a better flavor for them (not to mention healthier overall).

In fact, the Omega One flakes are even healthier then most pellet food out there. You don't have to feed pellets, just makes it easier to clean up.

I would offer a tiny pinch at a time, and don't offer any more until that one is finished to help avoid overfeeding.

A spoon would work for floating flakes, you can also try using a turkey baster to remove any that has fallen.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 
Dutch

You could try New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. Incredibly high quality ingredients, lower on protein percentage, but it is a higher quality protein that is easier to digest.

My betta took to it immediately.

It's a little bit on the pricey side, but well worth the money imo.

If you were to try it you may have to order it online. I'm lucky enough to live very close to "thatfishplace" so I just pick it up in-store.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 
sunlight

Thanks’ for response. I have him for 4 weeks now. He is healthy very active and eating everything but not pellets . I am bad with fasting, can't do it. He get so exited when he sees me so i fast him only 2 days and then i couldn't hehe

But i tried to split Aqueon pellet and he took it and then spit it out. So at least now he is trying..maybe he will eat them eventually. I also tried NLS.

I actually want back to the store and bought another betta and he ate pellets right away.

So will see, at least he is healthy and he is so big :) I will just have to change his water more often until he will start to eat.

Also he does something very funny. Somehow i don't know how he knock on the glass bowl with i guess his teeth. I have him in my bedroom. And it was silence i herd the noise i didn't understand what that noise is. Noise like someone knock on the glass. Than my asked me another day because she heard it. Than both of us were in the room and heard it. He does it sometimes. None of my bettas ever did it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Have you tried soaking the pellets in garlic juice? Some fish really like it.

New Life Spectrum has garlic in it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 
sunlight

So far i have him for about 5 weeks . I think I tricked him! I stopped giving him blood worms i give him only flakes than i though let me try to split Aqueon pellets. And it worked he eats them. But he is funny if i put a pellet he spit it out , if i brake it on little pieces he eats it. So i hope he will start to eat whole pellet soon :)
It takes me a while to feed him one pellet, but is he worth it :)

Still doing a lot of water changes.

Thank you.

Last edited by sunlight; 05-04-2012 at 11:36 AM.