Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

Clean yucky pre-owned tank check + accessory check (seashells, stones, etc).

Hi all, I would like to see if i'm doing this right.

I picked up a 10 gal with hundreds of accessories, an aqua clear powerhead, a huge heater, even another filter that I think may attach to the aqua clear powerhead all for $10 together.

Anyway, I took my hand and poured baking soda on it, and then instead of water: I poured white vinegar onto it and rubbed everything clean with a toothbrush. As for the plants, I soaked them in this wash. Before I washed them I even soaked them in the fish tank with vinegar.

Now the real concern is there's lots of yucky green stuff that comes off the plants, and everything smells like frogs/turtle scum. As far as I have researched, this should be alright and wont cause any harm. Please tell me if this is so, and if it would harm fit then what animals could survive with them? I have an extra 10gal that is leaking so I am making 'sets' of tanks for animals to sell off since I have lots of extra pet items :)

I will provide for you the pictures, tell me if I am doing this right.

Here is the green yucky stuff that comes off my plants, and this is the wash I used with baking soda and vinegar

Leftover scum after rinsing

Drying plants that still stink after letting them soak forever and doing 50 rinses: no smell of vinegar, just pond scum stuff...

Thank you for all your help! I will NOT sell anything if it would harm an animal, I want to be sure on what to do and what's best for recycling these kinds of items. ^_^ :D

ALSO: It came with some seashells! I kind of doubt these would be good for my tank! D: since I don't know where they came from, it doesn't seem good to use.
STONES: I have received some nice stones with this lot, but I don't know where they cam from either. Mostly black and glossy stones that look really pretty, one looks like oil is on it so its multi colored. There's a variation including gravel looking stuff, etc. But I don't know where this stuff came from either. My guess is to not use it because I have no clue. So let me know thoughts.

Last edited by LugiaChan; 05-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 
tpocicat

The tank and plants should be alright as long as they have been rinsed really REALLY well. You're right about the shells and rocks since you don't know where they came from. Better safe than sorry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
The tank and plants should be alright as long as they have been rinsed really REALLY well. You're right about the shells and rocks since you don't know where they came from. Better safe than sorry.
My thoughts exactly! :3 *hugs*

Oh, maybe there are animals that would be fine with these stones to give to owners? I wonder what would be the most durable type of pet for this kind of stuff.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote