Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #1 
bettabreederla

Exclamation Caring for torn fins.

Hey everyone looking for a little advice. I recently set up my very first betta sorority and as i expected there was a bit of bickering at first. i put them in a nice heavily planted 10 gal tank with a heater and filter. provided a copious amount of hiding places with a couple faux stumps and a mix of live/fake plants that extend to the waters surface and a few mid height plants. i put in 6 little ladies to start with and had to remove 2. one was simply a bully who would relentlessly chase and nip at the others, and another was so passive she would simply sit and allow herself to get beaten on. after removing those two the other four a living a happy life together for about 4 days now. as a result of the bully i have quite a few fins that need to heal. thus far i have been doing weekly 20% water changes with dechlorinated tap water and been feeding a nicely varied diet. one day pellets the next freeze dried bloodworms the third freeze dried daphnia, then back to pellets to start over. is there any other way i can help my little girls heal their fins to their former glory? please help as the uber passive one is a GORGEOUS cornflour blue veiltail whose fins are so long she almost looks like a male (i have confirmed she is a she by seeing her ovipositor) any help is appreciated. please answer as quickly as possible... thanks again.
bettabreederla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 
bettabreederla

btw i am willing to make an AIM/yahoo msn messenger account to help in expediency as i would like to start helping my little girls as quickly as possible. it is so hard for me to see them all banged up
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

U have to keep having the water as CLEAN AS POSSIBLE. This is the main ingredient 4 successful fin rip renewal. Good luck with those fins!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 
bettabreederla

so am i doing well enough doing water changes once a week in a filtered tank?? as i said i am doing 20% once a week. is this good enough? perfect? too little? also in my opinion doing "good enough" is too little for my beloved beauties. i am willing to put in the time to care for them.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 
Micho

Maintaining great water quality for starters will help.

Other than that, feeding them high protein rich foods, will also help speed up fin regrowth. Brands like New Life Spectrum, Omega One, or Hikari Biogold are the top three brands for Betta pellets out there.

If you have access to live foods, that's the best. Like mosquito larva, a few of those each meal, and it'll boost protein intake and promote fin regrowth and healing.

This may take weeks to months, usually fins don't regrow back to the way they were originally, and sometimes it'll be different colored.

Hope that helps.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 
bettabreederla

i have been told that i could buy a can of the flightless tiny fruitflies and that my bettas would love those, should i add them to my feeding regimen??
Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #7 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabreederla View Post
i have been told that i could buy a can of the flightless tiny fruitflies and that my bettas would love those, should i add them to my feeding regimen??
I dunno about fruitflies, but instead of buying live food you could always just get some. If where you live is already summer (unlike here), just leave some water in a bucket outside and let mosquitoes lay eggs in there, check a few times, once you see you have mosquito larva, just rinse a few off and plop some in for the girls to eat.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #8 
bettabreederla

thanks for the advice all but a couple unanswered questions... water changes 20% every week... good enough? not enough? just right? also the diet i have them all, i cycle daily between (all hikari products ) pellets, bloodworms, daphnia, repeat... good yes or no? please help, i am a simple guy and need direct answers
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

ANSWERS:
.Change the water changes to 3x a week 20%. ( 20% once a week,not enough )
.Pellets should be main diet ( Others are snacks )

QUESTIONS:
.Are the Bloodworms & Daphnia Freeze-Dried,Frozen,Or Live?

Good Luck on the Black Orchid!!!

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 05-03-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 
bettabreederla

all are my non pellet foods are freeze dried, how could i get live blood worms or daphnia, if live foods are the best for my fish i would MUCH rather use those

how often should my betta buds be given snack, once a weekish??

btw tyvm for the directness

Last edited by bettabreederla; 05-03-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: first forgot, second adding.

Tags
damage, female, fins, sorority