Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #1 
SarahandOscar

Question Rarest Betta??

Hi Everyone =) I've read some amazing information about Betta's and seem some awesome photo's and was wondering what is the rarest type of Betta (tail shape, colour etc) also does anyone know of a place to source Betta's in Sydney that's not from a petstore? Thanks
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I believe Aquaristic has a good selection of bettas and is a slightly high-end fish store in Sydney. There is also Auburn Aquarium, which always seems to have a good selection of splendens and wild bettas, but they further out so not sure how far you want to drive.

This is only what I have gleaned from online as I am a Melbournian.

Probably the truly rare bettas are endangered wild species such as Betta persephone. True HMs and HMPKs are difficult to find over here, particularly females, and we don't tend to see as many fancy or marble bettas around where I live. Not sure what it is like elsewhere.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 
SarahandOscar

Ahhh ok, I think i'd just rather support someone who breeds bettas and can guarantee their life hasn't been spent in a glass jar waiting to make its way to the petstore shelf...

I'm still fumbling my way through the abreviations and different Betta types and after seeing some of the gorgeous boys on this site have been quite curious as all teh ones i've seen in stores aren't as spectacular and usually priced to clear.

Thanks so much for yoru suggestion i can probably check those places out actually. I'm afraid i've caught the Betta bug hehe
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #4 
Sivan

Some breeders do keep them in tiny tanks, though, in order to protect their long fins.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 
BeckyFish97

Hmmmm, I would say spade tail's are rarest tail type, colour type I would say true forest green is the rarest
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 
bettalover2033

As most of this really is depending on the opinion of a person, but IMO/E, I believe that the true blue dragon is probably rarest color type. It's not too easy to keep in a line. Forest green I wouldn't guess to be as hard to get as a blue dragon.

A true blue dragon is a betta that has white/pearl colored dragon scaling on the body and only blue on the fins. I've only seen ONE person that has successfully bred a true blue dragon.

As for "rare" tail types, IMO there really isn't a rare tail type since you can pretty much find any tail type Depending on your location. (When I say find any tail type, I mean at a betta show.)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #7 
Luimeril

Albinos are truly rare. :B when they DO pop up, they either die early, or are sold for thousands. but, then again, albinos in general are pretty rare.

there is no truly rare tail type, imo. some are harder to come by than others in certain places(like DTs are hard to come by here, but others find them all the time)...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandOscar View Post
Ahhh ok, I think i'd just rather support someone who breeds bettas and can guarantee their life hasn't been spent in a glass jar waiting to make its way to the petstore shelf...
Most if not all betta breeders keep their fish in small containers awaiting sale. Just an FYI.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
SarahandOscar
I'd also like to add to what Bettas Rule said. It is a very definite thing that when breeding bettas, they can NOT all be in a 2.5 or even 1.5 gallon tank, heated and separated. The breeder would be losing more than gaining. Not only in profit, but in their own line(or breeding program). This would make it VERY hard on the breeder to even try to come up with all that money. Fish are not very cheap when you want qualityVs. Quantity.

Also NOT all breeders sell to pet stores. So that's kind of like a "label" if you know what I mean. I for one am against breeding to sell to pet stores as that would be greatly supporting them meanwhile most aren't going to pay much attenton to bettas of all the fish there that "require" much more than a water change a day. I would never want to just willingly sell my fry to a pet store since you really are just giving their nice breeding quality away (if you've done the right thing to get nice quality fish to begin with.)

I can understand why people would be a bit angry at the fact that breeders dont use "proper" tanks to place their fry, yet we always ecourage beginners to use the nice tanks. I believe it's...if you are going to get them as a pet, wouldnt you want the best for them to be happy?...

I breed specifically to better the betta species and contribute to my own knowledge of betta breeding, keeping, behavior, ect. Also to contribute to others who wish to breed quality fish and get the results they want...to encourage them to continue and possibly consider betta keeping to other people they know.

That is all I have to say:) (I probably went on a rant for a while)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #10 
Twilight Storm

There are a few people in Canada who have been posting recently buying fish from both breeders and from stores who import bettas. If you don't get a lot of replies here in this thread maybe make a thread in the wanted section. (or in another section)

Specify Links to Canada betta breeders wanted or something similiar in the thread title?

Sorry I can't help you with that personally but i'm in the US.

Best wishes
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote