Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #1 
surprize30

Question keeping my betta by the windo

hey i got a new tank for my male and i keep him by the window but i was wondering if the sun heated the tnk then it got colder during the night wuld that kil my betta?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
Micho

Uh well, you should have a heater in your tank to make sure the temperature is stable. If you don't live in an tropical area (and even people still do they still get heaters), you should most definitely get a heater.

The only concern you should have about placing your tank next to the window is overexcessive sunlight which might cause an algae bloom, or algae/diatoms growing on your tank walls.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Uh well, you should have a heater in your tank to make sure the temperature is stable. If you don't live in an tropical area (and even people still do they still get heaters), you should most definitely get a heater.

The only concern you should have about placing your tank next to the window is overexcessive sunlight which might cause an algae bloom, or algae/diatoms growing on your tank walls.
ok well i have no heater sooo is it ok that i leave him by the window or not?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
Sivan

No. Its not okay to rely on the sun to keep the tank warm. Water temperature can drop 10 degrees over night, which can cause problems for your fish. Like Micho said, the sun can also increase algae, which is bad for the tank. You need a heater like you need food for your fish.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
No. Its not okay to rely on the sun to keep the tank warm. Water temperature can drop 10 degrees over night, which can cause problems for your fish. Like Micho said, the sun can also increase algae, which is bad for the tank. You need a heater like you need food for your fish.
my fish eats dead babys it doesnt eat food
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 
Micho

Yeah you should really get a heater, to be honest, if you want your Betta to be happy I strongly suggest you pick up a heater.

Bettas are tropical fish, in order for them to thrive and to be happy they need tropical water which is 76F ~ 82F.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #7 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Yeah you should really get a heater, to be honest, if you want your Betta to be happy I strongly suggest you pick up a heater.

Bettas are tropical fish, in order for them to thrive and to be happy they need tropical water which is 76F ~ 82F.
oh thats ok i just cut of my big toe, heat it up i nthe microwave and tho it in the tnk it heats it up nice
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #8 
Cattitude

If you can't get a heater, the next best thing is a thermometer. That way at least you can check to see the temperature change day vs. night. That way you can move your tank away from the window when and if needed, if the tank is small enough.

If your tank is kept out of direct sunlight (which can overheat a tank) and the window is not open, this should minimize temperature changes and algae growth.

There are small submersible heaters available now for the smaller tanks. I have a 10 watt heater in my little 1 gal. cube. It cost me about $10 USD. It will heat a tank up to 5 gal.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #9 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
If you can't get a heater, the next best thing is a thermometer. That way at least you can check to see the temperature change day vs. night. That way you can move your tank away from the window when and if needed, if the tank is small enough.

If your tank is kept out of direct sunlight (which can overheat a tank) and the window is not open, this should minimize temperature changes and algae growth.

There are small submersible heaters available now for the smaller tanks. I have a 10 watt heater in my little 1 gal. cube. It cost me about $10 USD. It will heat a tank up to 5 gal.
i juts told u about my big toe?? aint tht good enough?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 
Sivan

Are you REALLY trolling a fish forum? :/ Seriously?
Closed Thread