Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #11 
Micho

Ooops, my bad. No clue why I said hard water, yes they prefer soft acidic water. :) But to be honest, most captive bred tetras these days like Neon Tetras will tolerate a wide range of water conditions.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I've heard that neon's immune systems are weak as they have been in-bred way too much.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #13 
Bombalurina

That's certainly true around here - they have become total canary fish. Cardinals or black neons tend to be a better choice. I like my embers best of all tetras. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #14 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
No, if there's anything wrong with the fish it'll kill them, after 1 ~ 2 weeks depending on long you QT them for. Basically you're letting nature take its course, if they are sick they'll die. Your water will be fine. :) Even if it's parasitic they parasite will die since there's no host in the tank, and will starve. I always handpick my fish, you should do that too, when you go buy your tankmates look for any diseases like ick, or fun rot.

Also that's weird, usually shrimps can't contract diseases that affect fish, invertebrates don't have the same diseases as fish.
However... if there is some disease that wipes them all out you'll be left with a cycled tank and no bioload for several weeks while you wait for whatever it was to die. You'd have to add ammonia to keep the cycle going... Also, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable banking on all bacteria/fungus to die during a certain time period- some are quite hardy/prolific.

I always QT in a separate tank. I just feel like it's a lot less of a headache.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #15 
danifacetastic

The only tanks I have though are 1 gallon. Is it even okay to leave like 6 tetras in a 1 gallon for a week?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #16 
Micho

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
The only tanks I have though are 1 gallon. Is it even okay to leave like 6 tetras in a 1 gallon for a week?
Uh no. xD

That's the problem with QT'ing most of the time, majority of people don't have a spare tank to QT fish/plants/other livestock in.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 
danifacetastic

So I guess I wouldn't be able to do anything then? :( Cause I don't want to just throw the new fish in the tank with my betta, and put my betta at risk of catching something.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Maybe you can set up a 1-2 gallon jar with a small heater and QT the new fish in the 10 gallon? It'd also give the betta time to "forget" his territory and might make him adapt to his tank mates quicker...
It does have a small risk of ruining the tank cycle if some serious illness occurs, but at least the betta is fine. As long as you choose healthy looking fish you should be fine.. Ask when they get new shipments in and go on that day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #19 
Micho

I wouldn't buy the fish on the day when the shipments come in, my LFS doesn't allow people to buy new shipments when they arrive, they wait 1 ~ 2 weeks and stick a "Not For Sale" sticker on the tank, I believe they themselves are QTing the fish.

I dunno if your LPS or LFS do that, but I wouldn't buy fish on the day of a new shipment, wait one or two weeks after the new shipment arrived.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Stores like pet smart do this too, the fish stay in the back.
The point is on a shipment day, fish are moved from QT to the front as they are replaced by fish that just came in. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote