Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 
whatwhat
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Can this work?

I asked a similar question a little while ago but i wanted to add on to it. Sorry if I did something wrong

Last time I posted, I asked about 6 neon tetras and a betta in a 10 gallon.
This time I was wondering if I can keep african dwarf frog(s) in it?
Can I keep the neon tetras the betta and the frog (s)?
How many frogs should I keep?
If I can't keep them with the tetras what other combination would be good?

Also is this test kit good?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Product+Type

EDIT: I was reading the adf care guide, and I saw the section about keeping your frog somewhere else for around 3 months. Can I keep it in a 1.5 gallon tank for a bit, until I am sure it is healthy and then put it in the 10 gal?

Last edited by whatwhat; 05-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #2 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
I wouldn't put ADF's in a 10 gallon with anything else. Each frog needs 2.5gallons to himself and they prefer to be in pairs or groups.
So if you want the ADf's, you'll need to have them in the tank alone. I don't think a 1.5g is appropriate while they're growing, should just give them the 10g. :) Hope this helps.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
I would say no to the ADFs too, you would need a pair of them, and their bioload is quite high since they're messy eaters. They also might get nipped by the Neon Tetras because Neons are quite nippy. ): Really I would say you're at your max right now, I would up the number of Neon Tetras, depending on how many you have, if you have 6 maybe go for 2 more or 4? That might be pushing it, but if you have a good filter and live plants that'd be no problem. 1 Betta and 10 Neons.

Also for the ADF in the 1.5g no, again. I would say 2.5g for one is good but, once again they're social beings. So they need to be in a pair.

The test kit you listed isn't really kit, it's only for ammonia. But yeah, getting a liquid test for ammonia is always good, but I would get the whole set, with nitrItes and nitrAtes too, because testing those are important too.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 
whatwhat
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
I would say no to the ADFs too, you would need a pair of them, and their bioload is quite high since they're messy eaters. They also might get nipped by the Neon Tetras because Neons are quite nippy. ): Really I would say you're at your max right now, I would up the number of Neon Tetras, depending on how many you have, if you have 6 maybe go for 2 more or 4? That might be pushing it, but if you have a good filter and live plants that'd be no problem. 1 Betta and 10 Neons.

Also for the ADF in the 1.5g no, again. I would say 2.5g for one is good but, once again they're social beings. So they need to be in a pair.

The test kit you listed isn't really kit, it's only for ammonia. But yeah, getting a liquid test for ammonia is always good, but I would get the whole set, with nitrItes and nitrAtes too, because testing those are important too.
I only have 1 betta in the tank atm, I am just trying to come up with a good combination of tank mates. I really liked the adfs :P

I have a great filter/heater and the it will be pretty heavily planted with live plants soon.(also the substrate is gravel if that matters :P)

Last edited by whatwhat; 05-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
I only have 1 betta in the tank atm, I am just trying to come up with a good combination of tank mates. I really liked the adfs :P
Oh, well if you have only just the Bettas you could do two ADFs. That would work. Just make sure you read the ADF guide, they need their own set of care like hand-feeding, etc.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 
DoberMom
Member
 
DoberMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, Cali
Yeah I agree. Two ADFs and one betta will be fine :) That's what I've got. And yes, they need to be hand fed. I feed mine every other day. They get live bloodworms, mini mealworms, and occasionally when I can find them, guppy fry.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #7 
whatwhat
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Can I keep 1 betta, 2 adfs, and like 3 plattys?
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
That would be pushing it on the bio-load. You have to choose between the adfs and the platys. If you had a 15 gallon you might be able to do both.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Yup 3 Platys would work. Just make sure you have a 1:2 ratio for every male get two females, if you're just getting three, get all females. :)

Also, remember this is all based on your Bettas temperament, if he's a mean guy and chases/nips your fish/frog friends, you might have to consider re-homing them, or simply refunding them.

Also, you might wanna get a higher end filter with this tank setup, maybe a 20 gallon filter? ADFs are messy eaters, and a bigger filter will definitely help you out.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 
whatwhat
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Yup 3 Platys would work. Just make sure you have a 1:2 ratio for every male get two females, if you're just getting three, get all females. :)

Also, remember this is all based on your Bettas temperament, if he's a mean guy and chases/nips your fish/frog friends, you might have to consider re-homing them, or simply refunding them.

Also, you might wanna get a higher end filter with this tank setup, maybe a 20 gallon filter? ADFs are messy eaters, and a bigger filter will definitely help you out.
How can I test if he is a mean guy? :P He doesn't flare a lot, barely even flares at his reflection.

And the filter I got with this tank is pretty strong, I think it is like 100gph but I have it slowed down a bit for my betta.
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will this work? Jakr959 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 06-16-2010 10:15 PM
Would this work? puppyrjjkm Betta Fish Compatibility 6 08-25-2009 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.