Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
How can I test if he is a mean guy? :P He doesn't flare a lot, barely even flares at his reflection.

And the filter I got with this tank is pretty strong, I think it is like 100gph but I have it slowed down a bit for my betta.
Whoooo-ey, that's heavy filtration you got there. With that filtration yeah you can house 2 ADFs, 3 Platys, and 1 male Betta. That'll put you around the max for your stocking level.

Well, I would try the Platys first, just acclimate the three and introduce them to the tank, if there's too much nipping and chasing in the first few days, try pulling him out of the tank, and re-arranging the decor to make it seem like a new tank and introduce him back to the tank. If that doesn't work, he's not cut out for community tank life.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #12 
whatwhat

This is the combination that I will probably go with, but I am open to more suggestions ;D Any combination with 1 betta and 1 or more adfs is fine.
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #13 
MsGita

I had ADF's years ago and all I can say is make sure you have a secure lid/hood! Those little suckers can move! I had one get out of the tank...cross my bedroom...go under the closed door...and made it all the way to the kitchen! I found him under the heating vent covered in lint. I just saw this dust bunny moving across the floor! LOL
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #14 
whatwhat

I just got my adfs :D I decided to get them first because I was still deciding on the fish. They didn't have sinking pellets for them so they gave me freeze dried bloodworms, but they don't sink o.O So I don't know how to feed them ;O I can go to a different store tomorrow and buy them sinking pellet food.

Also I got 2 live plants, to add to some artificial plants I had. I got 2 hornworts, and I will get more soon. Any suggestions?

Also the betta didn't do anything to the frogs, they are quite small right now but it just swam up to them then swam away. My betta just swims around the front area of the tank, it doesn't roam the back as much.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #15 
Laki

Frozen bloodworms sink!! But you have to be careful bc the betta might get to them first. I read to feed adf's in a petri dish at the bottom and they can take up to 10mins to even see their food. In that time, betta might get into it!! lol I know my 2 savages would, and without mercy. :p
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #16 
whatwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Frozen bloodworms sink!! But you have to be careful bc the betta might get to them first. I read to feed adf's in a petri dish at the bottom and they can take up to 10mins to even see their food. In that time, betta might get into it!! lol I know my 2 savages would, and without mercy. :p
I actually tried feeding my betta the blood worms after I fed it 2 pellets just to see if it would take them. It just swam away :P

When I put the worms in they just floated at the top of the tank and I am not sure if the frogs got it or not. Tomorrow I can try hand feeding them, if that doesn't work then I will get the sinking pellet food.