Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 
ishybaby

Question new betta fish not eating?

I've seen a couple of threads about this, but not one that fits what Blue Moon is doing ( I always get the 'special' bettas some how). This coming Saturday I will have had him two weeks, and today it is a week since he was moved to my 5 gallon tank. When I first got him he showed no interest in food, but my previous ones also did this and I thought it was stress. I had to wait for my fiance to get back into town to help move the 5 gal to where I could clean it, so I wasn't too worried. But now it's been a week in the bigger tank, and he still shows no interest in food. He's extremely active, looks healthy, and has a bubble nest that nearly takes half of the tank in size. I'm just concerned since I never had a betta fish not eat and it wasn't sick.
The foods we've tried: generic betta pellets, Aquan (sp?) betta pellets, and Omega betta pellets. We've also put a blood worm in this evening just to see if he would be interested, but he totally ignored it.
Anyone have an idea that might get him interested in some type of food? I've been waiting to feed every three or four days in hope of him becoming hungry with no luck, so I'm at a loss
thanks guys
ishybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hi! I had one who refused for 2 weeks. Then one day, I made a pellet sink and he chased it, played with it, ate it.

There is another way... minced garlic. Take some of the juice in a spoon, soak the pellet, put it in. Most bettas LOVE their garlic!

Live foods. Mine cannot resist live foods.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #3 
ishybaby

:) thank you for replying so quickly. I'll definitely try your suggestions, here's hoping his stubborn silly self likes one of them ha
ishybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

hopefully =D
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #5 
Sivan

Somebody else had this problem and garlic water did not work but it turned out that the betta preferred flakes instead.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

if that is the case... be careful with feeding flakes. Not as easy to moderate amount lol
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #7 
Sivan

Agreed! Try to get flakes that leave less of a mess too.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

yep >< I have flakes. But they are a back up, as they are terribly messy D: all of mine take to pellets. Most were fed flakes in stores, and one betta (the one I mentioned who took 2 weeks) only wanted flakes, but I waited it out and he ate those pellets :p
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #9 
lelei

I have a "Finiky eater" and he by far prefers "Haikari Gold" pellets, nothing but, I have tried flakes, and someother type of pellets, now that he's been eating Haikari Gold, he is soo happy, and full of life, and his color is getting brighter, I even tried the Freeze dried blood worms, nope, not for him, try the Gold, hope it works.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #10 
Shadyr

Make it a game! My two seem to like it when I press a pellet so that it sticks to my fingertip and hover my finger right above the water. Ghost will just about jump out of the water to get it. Chicory is more polite, but he will strike at the pellet too.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote