Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #1 
Shin

No Eat

Hello everyone.

Well, it's day nine since I bought my betta.

I've dubbed him No Eat II, the descendent in spirit of No-Eat the First, an angel fish who lived over a month, was it two? refusing food, and then departed.

He's a lovely blue with an ivory head. But the blue is fading.

What should I do?

I have about 6 different brands of flake food I've tried, new and old from a box. Betta Min, regular flake, pellets. Then I tried freeze dried food.

Then the little protein balls, three brands, one what he supposedly was fed at the pet store.

And today I tried frozen mixed bait, a variety pack of shrimp, bloodworms, and other stuff. Nothing.

But he nibbles on the nearly invisible algae as if he's starving. Everything falls by unnoticed.

This is probably it, unless he's going to eat this stuff, I'm not up to raising gnat cultures -- I doubt he'd eat them anyway.

Is this is for some of them? They just refuse to eat for good? No?

Nothing can be done to tempt them to notice food? Some sort of flavoring?

The fish was $1.99, but the fish food companies have made out.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

There are a variety of reasons a betta won't eat. Generally it is a sign of something bad. Nine days is a long time to go for a new betta to not eat, but it's not unheard of. Is his tank heated? Often cold water will cause betta to lose their appetites. This is the first thing I would check.

Garlic juice (from fresh squeezed cloves) is an appetite enhancer in fish. You could try this with some high quality pellet like New Life Spectrum, Hikari, or Omega One.

You don't have to culture gnats, but you can get mosquito larvae very easily. Just put a bowl of water outside (if it is warm enough for bugs to be out at your house now), and when you come back in a few days there will be mosquito wrigglers in the water. Remove these with a clean eye dropper and try to entice him with those.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 
Shin

I'll try garlic juice next. Thanks!

I suppose I can even try the bowl of water idea if I have to.

I heard Hikari Bio Gold was good, but it's not available at the local store, and if none of the other pellets even get a glance, well.

My water tests out fine, and there've been three blue gouramis living in the 29 gallon tank for awhile. They and the betta in this case, get along just fine too. He's got plants to hide in, and after the initial flaring introduction, by day 3 they pretty much all ignore each other.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I think I've found the root of your betta's problem. Those blue gourami. Gourami of any kind should not be kept together due to aggression issues. Males are aggressive towards each other. Fish aggression isn't just nipping; hormones play a large part in it. Think of it this way: if there were two dogs leased to opposite sides of the room and one was a highly aggressive animal, the other dog would be cowering in fear because it can read the aggressive dog's intentions. There would be no physical contact, but the less aggressive dog would still be stressed. I would rehome the blue gourami immediately not just because of the aggression issue but also due to the space issue. Blue gourami grow around 6 inches long and need a minimum of a 3 foot tank for one fish.

Sources: Blue Gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus) TFK Profile
Trichopodus trichopterus (Three-spot Gourami) Seriously Fish
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...um-fish-98852/
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #5 
Shin

Well these fellows are just small ones, he's as big as they are, and they haven't shown any signs of disliking each other or avoiding one another.

I did move him to a small bowl for a short time, to see if he would eat then, but it didn't make a difference.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Those blue gourami are babies. Trust me, they will grow and then start getting aggressive. Young gourami are much more peaceful than older gourami. I saw a tank like this firsthand. My mother's colleague called me in to ask about a fish tank with 4 blue gourami in her office. They were all about 5 inches long, and there was some serious aggression in that tank. One gourami was even missing an eye. They even said that they tried added more fish but the gourami tore them apart. And the tank was larger than yours at 35 gal.

Removing the betta will help him, but you've got to let him get settled. You could try putting him in the bowl (just make sure it is heated) for a day and then try to feed him. Generally fish don't like to eat when they are first settling into a home. I don't even offer food to my new arrivals until after they have been in my tank for at least 2 days.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 
Shin

Yes, that's the thing I don't want to keep moving him and unsettling him further, unless it's necessary.

If I fiddle too much I get concerned about stress.

But right now they all get along. You think they'll fight when they get older? I've heard they do mark territories then, but they are all raised together from the start at this point, which normally can get fish used to one another, no?

I can at least keep them together till there are signs of aggression I'm thinking?

Right now it's peaceful.

I do have a second 29 gallon tank, empty. I'm not too keen on starting it up just for a betta. I would have to have some other fish in there too eventually.

Otherwise I don't have anything heated, and indoors it's 69 degrees here.

I had a hexagon tank that would've been perfect for him, but I made the mistake of moving it with some water in it, to clean it out in the tub -- it slipped, just a short fall from the tub ledge, but that broke it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #8 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
Otherwise I don't have anything heated, and indoors it's 69 degrees here.
Your tank isn't heated? If not then the water would be 69 degrees, which is too cold for a betta. It makes them sluggish, including losing their appetite. That could also explain the colour loss.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I don't blame you. I get worried about stress too when I fiddle with my tanks. If your house is 69F (lol wish mine was that cool), then I would leave the betta in the heated tank for right now. This weekend or as soon as you can, I would buy a 5 gal setup and a heater, and then put him in that tank. I think this is going to help him eat.

I really do think you're going to have some problems on down the line. When my mom's coworker bought those blue gourami they were young just like yours. Raising the fish together really does little to alleviate the natural aggressive tendencies. It's not like aggression that can be trained out of a dog. It's hard-wired in the fish.

I wouldn't set up the other 29 gal right now. You could set it up in the future if you wanted to make a community of tetra and put your betta in there. If you can, I would return the gourami. If you like gourami a honey gourami is a better choice (but still not with a betta) that can easily live in your 29 gal.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #10 
Shin

Well, I think I'll plant the tank more heavily so there're more spaces where the fish can be alone, and hope that'll do the trick. If I see aggression as they get older, I'll take care of it then.

Yes the 29 gallons are heated, thanks!

I will try the garlic tomorrow!