Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Snail paling?

hes gotten paler since i got him, at the beginning, he was only eating diatoms and maybe some lefotver fish food, but Pog is very clean. wait.. no hes not! lol i just remembered there were some semi-buried pellets at the endof feeding the snail could have got.

But now we have green algae and i dont see snail marks in it, but he could get some :/ lol heres some pics, you can see the new shell is paler than the older shell. or the palness just spreads up, does the shell grow?

lol never mind cant find pics :(

Last edited by Pogthefish; 05-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 
Mo

What type of snail is it? Typically you should feed supplements to the snails such as cucumber, algae wafers, zucchini, and lettuce to keep the snails healthy, the main reason why they die in freshwater tanks is because most people aren't aware of the feeding needs
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 
Pogthefish

I used to give algae wafers but i dont anymore and idk if he ever got them much. and actually bottomfeeder wafers. should i feed him some? my other fish usually get fat off of them before he even has a chance to eat them
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #4 
Mo

What type of snail do you have? Different snails have different dietary requirements and some will easily accept algae wafers and a diet of algae while other like to have other dietary supplements
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

If his shell is paling it is due to a calcium deficiency in the water. What this means is your GH is low (not a problem for your betta). Snails actually come from rather hard water. I have a GH of 3, and all my snails have slightly paler and more fragile shells. Some recommend giving the snail calcium supplements in the form of tums tablets. But it's really going to help us if you tell us what kind of snail you have.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

I'm not sure I got him a long time ago at petco. I can add a recent piic if u want but I lost all my old ones..

....so you can seriously just drop a tums in there?
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #7 
Silverfang

they go gaga for weekend feeders, but not a wise option with piggy bettas. A calcium supp would be better. I've even tried calcium rich snail food (Very simple recipe).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

you make it urself or buy it? :D
Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

Btw i forget why i bought a cucumber, for my snail or my fish? lol
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

The cucumber would be for the snail as betta are insectivores. There are some people who just drop a tums in the aquarium, but others will remove the snail and place it in a cup with the tums once a week. The problem with putting the tums in the water is that it will cloud the tank; however this is purely aesthetic. If you can make your own food for the snail, that is always recommended because we know every ingredient and in what ratio in homemade food.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote